Post # 1
So we got suggested to use our florist by our photographer. She does it our of her home so we wouldnt have to pay the overhead fo the flowers so thought that we would save some money on flowers (since flowers also werent a hugh part of our wedding)
We met with her, liked her, her stuff and her vision of the flowers/centerpieces/everything so we decided to take her on. That said I am not getting really frustrated.
I have always had some issues with getting ahold of her, so I would then email her and not head back from her for days even weeks! and last weekend we had our E-shoot with out photographer (who also was using her for his wedding in Nov) and he said that he ended up cancelling her because she always took too long to get back to him and his FI.
As this is the case with me as well I just dont know what to do. I mean its not bugging me THAT much, but for someone else to cancel her for things that are happening to me I just dont know if we should as well. I mean it will obviously make me furious if its a month before my wedding and a)she hasnt ordered what I wanted because she hasnt communicated with me and b)just hasnt ordered anything at all! so I am just a little wary and worried that my flowers (which like I said above werent are biggest priority, but now becoming a big one as I do want beautiful flowers on our day) wont be ‘perfect’
That being said, its been 2 months and we still havent signed the contract or put a deposit down…which confuses me because I am trying to pay her, I keep trying to get her address to send a cheque but I am yet to receive that. But dont you think if I was trying to secure my date and pay a person that they would be very attentive to me?
Am I being silly and this is fine, or am i being naieve and fire this woman?!
Post # 3
maybe email isn’t the best way to reach her. Once you finally get a hold of the florist, let them how disappointed you are about the lack of communication and ask how they prefer to be contacted. Also ask if they can respond to your communications within X hours (at least 24, but 48 is reasonable) and if they don’t think they can do that then you may have to walk.
Post # 4
good advice, now I need to grow a backbone so I can tell someone my disapproval in them!
Post # 5
you don’t have to be mean, just confident. I usually sugar coat my sternness. It will be fine. Luckily you haven’t placed a deposit yet so if you do need to back out you can without losing money.
Post # 6
I wouldn’t say to cancel her just yet as she might have more time for you now that the other wedding canceled on her. Call her as soon as you can and let her know that you need to put a deposit down soon because of finances, etc. Then ask her specifics about when she’s booking the flowers and all of that. If she can’t respond, give her a short time frame deadline. If she still doesn’t come through, cancel it.
Post # 7
- Wedding: June 2008 - Winery in the Gold Country
I’ve noticed a pattern that typically if people have nagging doubts about their vendors, they are usually right. I would definitely start looking elsewhere, asap, while keeping your current vendor on the backburner just in case you can’t find anyone else. Love Chela’s advice about asking them if they are able to respond to you within 48 hours… there is no reason that a vendor can’t do that for one of their paying clients.
Post # 8
Well I don’t know that you can fire her, because technically speaking actually you have not yet hired her! Her behavior speaks louder than any good deal she might give you. If two months have gone by and she has not yet found a way to take the money and business you are trying so hard to give her, then I say look elsewhere for someone who wants to work with you. That will be worth any extra price you might pay.