Post # 1
I am 6 months into the wedding planning process and for the most part, the wedding is planned…As I say this, I just now received the contract for the reception and there are several unexpected fees (i.e. – chairs, police, etc). We are having our reception at a historical place so I understand that there will be certain additional costs BUT I specifically asked 5 months ago about these costs and even named them and were told that they don’t have those charges. I wrote an Email yesterday questioning the charges and have yet to hear back. NOTE: This is just one of several instances which I feel that we are being taken advantage of and I don’t want to have my reception at a place I am starting to feel that way about.
SO – do I suck it and wait to hear what they have to say, let it slide and then have the event there anyway as we already sunk a deposit to hold our date. OR do we forgo the lost money and look for another place that would be overall more accommodating? We have 7 months before our ‘wedding date.’
Post # 3
I would be mad and want to cancel too, but then my Fiance would probably calm me down and talk me out of it. Wait to see what they say.
2 Questions: Are the extra charges more than the deposit? does it make sense to lose money because you dont want to spend money?
Post # 4
When you gave them a deposit, did you sign a contract then? or was that a “hold the date” deposit and now you are looking to sign the contract?
Definately push back on them about those charges. You have every right to at least try to negotiate with them. The worst they will say is “no”.
When you asked them about those charges before and they said no, do you have it in writing, such as an email?
Post # 5
what is your budget? how likely is it that you can find a reception venue with your date open?
i think a lot of different factors can weigh in on your decision. at this point, if i were in your shoes, i would wait to hear what they have to say about the additional costs that were not aforementioned and at the same time start browsing backup options that you will be able to hone in on, if need be later on.
Post # 6
Ugh. I’m so sorry this is happening to you.
First question—how are you just receiving the contract, if you’ve already put a deposit down? Have you signed the contract with those new fees included? I guess I’m confused about that part.
Those details aside, peace of mind about your wedding reception could be worth losing the deposit you put down, depending on how much it is. However, I would not cancel your reception location until you know for sure that there’s another location available on your date, in your price range, and that will accommodate your guest list. In other words, find a Plan B before deciding whether you should cancel.
And if you really don’t want to cancel (I wouldn’t want to cancel my reception location at this point, either!), I would demand to talk to management of the current location. You’re a paying client and you don’t deserve to be taken advantage of.
Post # 7
Unless you have it in writing that you asked these questions and they said that they didn’t have those fees I’m tempted to think they are going to make you pay them.
The exact same thing happened to us. We asked about cake cutting fees and champagne fees and all that sort of stuff. We were told in person that those things didn’t exist. Then come to find out there is a $3/person cake cutting fee (for 200 people) and a $25/bottle corking fee for champagne because we are bring in our own of each – neither of which the venue provides so we HAVE to bring in our own.
We canceled with that venue and found a better one with four months to go. I would wait and see what they have to say but be prepared for them to tell you that the fees are nonnegotiable. Sorry you have to deal with it, trust me I know how much it sucks.
Post # 8
Thanks everyone for the support! The initial contract we signed was a deposit for the date. Nothing more. The contract for the reception was were we were in the planning process and was the breaking point. Prior to that we wouldn’t hear back from the caterer for weeks or if at all. And the tasting was a flop instead of it being an example of what kind of great service we were expect.
We had an in-person meeting yesterday and they apologized for the way my Fiance have been treated and removed the unexpected fees…but that’s it. We have completely lost faith in them by their shabby treatment and hollow apologizes.
We are currently looking at alternative venues that have our date as we have completely lost faith at our original venue.
If you have any suggestions for venue’s in lower Fairfield county, CT — pass ’em on!
Post # 9
That’s so frustrating – we went through the same thing with our first venue. Granted, we had not paid a deposit at that point. We were told pricing, we were exciting, then they neglected to mention the dreading food and beverage minimum of $9,000. Ouch.