(Closed) Should I consign my dress? Will only get $250…

posted 8 years ago in Dress
  • poll: Should I consign my dress and only get $250?
    Take the 250$ and run : (11 votes)
    65 %
    Give it more time on the other selling sites : (6 votes)
    35 %
    No : (0 votes)
  • Post # 3
    3219 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 2010

What about ebay or other used websites. Also keep posting on CL. Make a few accounts with different emails so you can post it once a week. No one sees thoes week old adds when they get pushed down.

Post # 4
    3762 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: May 2010

I would say go ahead and put it on consignment.  If you don’t sell it now while its in “style” it will sell for much less than $200 in a few years.  

Since it sounds like you are tight for money right now, I would say definitely try to get some cash in your pocket.  

Post # 6
    7976 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

From what I’ve seen (I’ve looked a lot at pre-owned dresses), you can usually expect to recoup about 50% of your original sale price – not counting alterations. Unfortunate, but … whoever buys it will likely have to alter it herself too, so she doesn’t want to pay for your alterations!

I’d say the $250 isn’t too bad, considering the dress retailed for $565.

Post # 7
    1254 posts
    Bumble bee

Just like caszos said, if the dress is from an older line, I suggest going with the consignment store because it will only go down in value over time. If it is from a newer line you might want to re-write your description or post better pictures. Sometimes a quick tweak like that helps. For Craigslist users who are local, I would make it easy on them to see the dress in person. Sometimes seeing the dress in person (as opposed to pictures) really helps with the decision making. Good luck!

Post # 9
    420 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

Take the money and run! You are very right, it is not making you any money sitting in your closet. Also, that point that caszos made about it being out of style is very accurate. Once it is deemed an “old”-er style, you won’t get anything for it. $250 isn’t bad!

Post # 10
    1962 posts
    Buzzing bee

have you posted it on Weddingbee?

Post # 11
    360 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2011

Other posters are definitely right about consigning it sooner than later. I work at a consignment store and so many brides are disappointed that 5-10 years is a long time for a wedding dress to sit in the closet and definitely lowers the price.

My only suggestion would be to check with a few different consignment stores (the amount you get varies by store, but is generally 40-60% of the price it sells for). Also, find out about their policies for returning the dress to you – that way you could keep posting it on other selling sites and get it back if you have an interested buyer. Also, does the store do the dry cleaning or can you have it done yourself before taking it in? You might be able to shop around for better rates if you do it yourself. Like others have said $250 really isnt too bad, but you should find out if there are any sales or discounts that could possibly lower that amount at the consignment store or if you can request that it not be reduced. Another thing to consider and ask about is what the consignment store policy is if the dress gets dirty or damaged from shoppers trying it on – most stores do their best to ensure that doesnt happen, but don’t really offer any monetary coverage if something happens to your dress.

If you’ve only been listing it for a month, you might try a little longer and try going to $300 or $400 (still better than $200!), but if you’re planning to consign it, definitely take it to the store before next spring (when a lot of last-minute brides are dress shopping!)

The topic ‘Should I consign my dress? Will only get $250…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors