(Closed) Seating Chart for a Wedding with Just Over 100 Guests? HELP!!

posted 5 years ago in Logistics
  • poll: Seating chart or no seating chart?
    Yes! Assign seats for every guest. : (4 votes)
    18 %
    Assign tables for a certain number of guests, not specific seats. : (17 votes)
    77 %
    No seating chart at all. Let guests seat themselves. : (1 votes)
    5 %
    Only have a seating chart for weddings over 200. : (0 votes)
    Only have a seating chart for weddings over 100. : (0 votes)
    Just have a seating chart for immediate family, so they have good seats. : (0 votes)
  • Post # 4
    2657 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2014 - Italian Villa

The weddings i have been to, we were assigned a table. It’s nice because if you are getting along well with someone else at the table, you can sit and have a conversation with them anstead of shouting across the table.

If we weren’t assigned a table, it would have been too weird- like a middle school cafeteria, wondering where to sit if you don’t know most of the people.

Assign tables

Post # 5
    430 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2013 - The Skinner Barn

Tell people which table to sit at. Otherwise, families may get split up because by the time they walk in there is only one seat left at one table, two at another, etc. It’s pretty standard for weddings over 50 I think. I’m having 80 and we’re definitely assigning tables. I think guests will appreciate the clarity

Post # 6
    Hostess
    8580 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2014

Assign tables for a certain number of guests, not specific seats.

I wouldn’t let everyone sit wherever they want, as some people might be left all by themselves, or around people they don’t know, or not around people they’d rather be with.

Table numbers at least tells them where they need to be, without making it like a classroom where they must sit in seat A!

Post # 7
    9552 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2013

My fiance and I are plannning to assign tables. Mostly, this helps decrease confusion. And guests like to know what they’re suposed to do so I think most guests prefer it. Plus you don’t get the one couple who was late getting seating and so can’t sit with their friends and end up with great aunt sally. And it makes he seating much faster so you don’t have to wait forever for everyone to find a seat. And I’ve been told that you should have extra dining spaces if you aren’t assigning tables so you save on tables, chairs, and centerpieces.

Post # 8
    11234 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2013

We’re having the same number of guests. Originally, I didn’t want to do a seating chart, but ultimately decided to just assign table numbers. I’ve only been to one wedding with no assigned seating, and we had to race to the reception area so that I could get a table with FI’s dad because I didn’t know anyone else, and FI was at the head table (and was, unfortunately, for most of the reception).

Having been to two weddings who have done this, please seat large groups of friends at tables next to each other. We’ve been to two friends’ weddings (from the same group of friends), and at both weddings, they split up the group on opposite sides of the room, which was really annoying. We took up three tables at one, and the third table was across the tent, and two tables at the other, and the second table was on the other side of the room.

Post # 9
    5663 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2012

Assign tables not seats, no matter what the size. I feel the opposite of your fiancé, it’s completely awkward to have to find a seat when everyone that is all buddy buddy has already claimed tables and is saving seats for their other friends. In my experience, as a guest and a bride, it’s much more enjoyable to be sat at a table with people whom the bride and groom feel you would have something in common with. when I looked out on our wedding every table was laughing and talking, even the strangers that were sat together. I also noticed many new Facebook friendships form among our friends who were previously strangers, after the wedding. 

Post # 10
    595 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: January 2012

At the very least I would assign people to tables because to not have any seating chart would result in utter chaos…okay maybe that’s extreme but I think a lot of people would be confused and seating the guests would take 3 times as long.

All the weddings I’ve attended have had some sort of seating assignment–sometimes by table, sometimes by specific seat. I think it just helps things go more smoothly.

Post # 11
    9057 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2010

I had a 82 person wedding, and had assigned tables, but not assigned seats. 

Post # 13
    430 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2013 - The Skinner Barn

@silkspectre94:  ….you got 8 comments worth of opinions lol

The topic ‘Seating Chart for a Wedding with Just Over 100 Guests? HELP!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors