Post # 1
I need some feedback before making this major decision on Monday.
I completed graduate school in 2010 and was hired a month later for a full time position with benefits. The job was pretty much my first offer and I jumped on it because I could not go any longer without income. The job is pretty much in a setting and working with a population that I’m not totally crazy about. Also, I have to wear so many hats with the crazy amount of job duties and the place is rather disorganized. Basically, my position is really 2 separate jobs that they made into 1 to save money. I’ve worked at my current job for a year and 3 months and I’m ready to move on to something better.
I started applying for jobs recently and I finally got a job offer! The job offer is with the exact setting and population that I have always wanted to work with. The job duties are also more focused on my specific area of expertise. The only problem with this is that it is a 40 hour per week contract job with no benefits. The employer told me that there will probably be a full time job with benefits available by the next fiscal year or sooner. If a full time job with benefits becomes available, then I would be allowed to break my contract and apply internally for the job.
Pretty much getting my foot in the door this way would guarantee that the full time job with benefits would be mine in a year or so if the budget issues are resolved. This is a job with the federal government and I know that this would be a good long term move for me to make. The benefits and pay are much better. I would also be doing work that I really enjoy.
Should I go ahead and take the 40 hour contract job just to get my foot in the door even though there would be no benefits? Should I just stick with my current job for the health insurance and steady pay? Also, any advice for dealing with this would be appreciated. If I decide to leave my current job, then I need to put in 2 weeks notice ASAP.
We joked last night that we should just elope so that I can get on his health insurance AND we can save money with wedding expenses!
Post # 3
Elope!!! hahaha 😉
If you’re completely positive this new job can land some benefits eventually, then yes- but in the meantime, perhpas buy private health insurance or hop on the hubbies bandwagon.
You only live once, and there is nothing wrong with bettering your self and the situations your in 🙂
Post # 4
LOL, my frist thought before I got to your last paragraph was to elope for the insurance. You could always get married on paper and still have your wedding day. I do know of a few people that got officially married by the eyes of the state well before the actually wedding,and stilll use the wedding date as their official date. Thinking of the bigger piicture and future, I think I would make the move now to get in the right position and get a foot in the door as soon as a full time opp arises.
Post # 5
I say elope, take the new job that you’ll love and still have your amazing “real” wedding!
We only live once! Go for it girl!
Post # 6
Do you and FI live together? Ya’ll could have a domestic partnership. That way you can be on his insurance, but not be married until your wedding. One of the Bees blogged about it not too long ago!
Post # 7
Thanks everyone! I just finished writing my resignation letter and I plan to put in my 2 weeks notice when I go to work in the morning. I can’t believe it! I’m super excited to be moving forward.
Also, I just had a conversation about domestic partnership with my boyfriend after reading the comments. He actually told me that he would rather get married since we’re planning to do it anyway. Then, we would still have a ceremony and reception as planned in a year or so.
I am relieved that I have a few options that make me feel even better about accepting this job offer!
Post # 8
Ok, I need just a little more advice!
I talked to my boss this morning and I have to put in 4 weeks notice. The new job wanted me to start this week. I thought it would be ok to delay starting with 2 weeks notice here, but I’m not sure about 4 weeks.
My boss said I could have the option of working 4 weeks for 5 days each week or 5 weeks for 4 days each. Then she also said maybe 6 weeks for 3 days each.
Which option should I go for?