Post # 1
My fiance and I are getting married in San Francisco this Fall. We live in Southern California and will be making the drive up to Northern California. We are child-free, and are planning to not have kids, so to us, our dogs are like our children. We’re both huge animal lovers and I would love to be able to look back at our wedding photos with them in it.
They are both very small dogs, under 6 pounds. I’ve had my dog for 14 years. She is elderly, and I fear she doesn’t have too many years left. It honestly brings me to tears when I think of her not being in our photos. I know it’s something I’ll always cherish when she passes.
Our venue doesn’t allow dogs, so they would only be in our getting-ready photos.
There are a few problems we’re finding that come along with bringing them on our trip.
- We’d love to look back at our photos with them in it. (We plan on getting the boy a bow tie and the girl a flower collar.)
- We’d miss them and consider them family!
- We don’t have to spend money on a pet hotel.
- We know they’re safe. They both have separation anxiety and will not eat if they feel abandoned.
- We’re extremely limited on which hotels/vacation rentals we can stay at. So far we’ve only found two available that we like. I’ve emailed one and even though she lists “pets allowed” she’s being very unsure if we are a right fit for her place since there are two dogs.
- We won’t get much alone time. This is a mini-honeymoon for us.
- We’d love to explore the city, but we will have to take them with us and this will limit where we can go/what we can do.
I keep going back and forth on this…any suggestions?
I would have added a poll, but I don’t see those options anymore.
Post # 2
petalpetal: Hey petalpetal! SF is generally a pretty dog-friendly city, but yeah, I can see why you’re apprehensive.
Have you tried looking for lodging on Airbnb? And on days when you want alone time, or want to sightsee at less dog-friendly places, maybe dropping them off at a daycare or pet hotel for a few hours could work? (e.g., Wag Hotels)
Post # 3
petalpetal: I am going to San Fran this summer and have found tons of vacation rentals that allow dogs! I can give you some site links if you would like? I am bringing my dog on this trip and wanted a place where she could be herself 🙂
Some of the places even had yards so you could let your babies hang out while you enjoy your special day!
Post # 4
killergiraffe: Thanks for your suggestions. I will tell my fiance about the pet hotel. Maybe we can email some places and see if they’ll be open to letting our dogs stay for a fraction of the time. Sadly though, a lot of places are very strict on this. I understand why, but again, we aren’t left with many options.
We’ve already checked into airbnb, which is where we found our two options.
It’s hard because the vacation rentals that allow pets aren’t what we’d typically look at as far as style and upkeep go. I have to also keep in mind we’re taking getting-ready photos at wherever we stay, so it has to be a bit pleasing to the eye.
Post # 5
Payless: Yes! Please send links my way!
Post # 6
petalpetal: Your options get better when you spend more money but here are places that I personally find to be affordable:
Just go up to the search bar and put in keywords like: pets allowed, san francisco, and any other requirements you may have. One thing I suggest you look for in addition to having pets is a garage. Parking is nuts in San Fran and it is nice to know that you won’t need to pay to have a parked vehicle:)