Post # 1
Darling Husband and I are planning a trip to Disney World in October for us and our son (will be 16 months at the time). We like the idea of Disney, because it’s very kid friendly, there is a lot to do, and we can enjoy some warmer weather at that time of the year. Our plan is to stay at a Disney resort for 6 nights. Disney is currently running a promotion where if you book a resort for 6 nights during certain weeks in the fall, you get a free dining plan. That is a savings of $700! We are planning to go in the last week of October during Halloween, which I thought would be an extra fun time to go. There will be decorations and Halloween themed events going on in the parks. The resort prices are also lower at this time, so with the $700 savings and the lower prices, we could afford to stay in a deluxe resort within walking distance of Epcot!
DH’s parents go to Disney every year, just the two of them. They like to camp in the campground, and they always go the same week every year, because the vacation time coincides with when my Father-In-Law is off from work. His company is closed that week. They are planning to go the second week of October. When we told them our plans, they said we should change our reservation, so we can go the same week they are going. The problem is that there are only 5 resorts available that week, there is no free dining plan promotion, and the prices for the resorts are higher than the week we wanted to go. Because of these factors, we couldn’t afford the nicer resorts, so we would be staying in a bottom tier resort and paying the same price as we were originally going to pay once we factor in food and park tickets.
Darling Husband says the advantages of going with his parents is they could help with our son and could watch him if we wanted alone time. It would also make them happy to have us there with them. The disadvantages would be not getting the free dining plan, not having much resort selection, paying more for a lower tier resort, missing out on Halloween at Disney and spending a week with his parents. That last one is a both a pro and a con. It might be nice to have them watch our son from time to time, but a week with them could also get tiring after a while (even though they won’t be staying at the same place as us).
Darling Husband said he could go either way, so he wants me to tell him what I think is best. I’m really not sure what to do. What would you do in this situation?
Post # 2
I wouldn’t change it. It sounds like you’ll have a better time/ experience just the 3 of you.
Besides, its 6 days at Disney.. How much would your in-laws really be watching your kid for you? Sure it may be nice to have time to yourselves but, it is a family vacation and you can have alone time when your son sleeps. 6 days is not a ton of time, you’ll likely fill your days up and end up in your room exhausted by end of each day.
Post # 3
I wouldn’t change your plans either. Although I love spending time with family, it just sounds like a better experience all around to go on the last week of October.
Post # 4
Make sure you do mickys not so scary Halloween party and the epcot food and wine festival will be happening when you are there! Also don’t change it.
Post # 5
- Wedding: April 2012 - Chateau Briand
Do your in-laws know all the reasons why you wanted to go on the original dates? I think if you explain all the reasons you wanted to go the last week of october (leaving out the part about them being tiring lol), they would likely understand. they than can decide to a) change their trip date b) offer to pay the difference if they so desperately want you to go at the same time (still not ideal but it might be worth it) or c) everyone goes the originally planned dates lol
Post # 6
Bichon Frise: Tell them you can’t afford to change your plans and suggest they change theirs to the last week of October if they want to spend time with you. If they can’t change their plans then so be it. Go on vacay with them next year instead.
Post # 7
Personally, it would depend on how often we see them during the year and how much time the baby has had with them. I’m also not too particular with hotels and food… i’m actually more of a cheapo lol.
BUT– this is a family vacation for you guys! Is it your first big one together? With a baby, it’s also important for you to be comfortable. To know the resort and rooms are clean, to have good food, etc. especially after long days at the park… you’re gonna need a wonderful room and meal to look forward to. So I say go all out hehe. Enjoy yourselves! Just maybe appease the in-laws with orher plans together sometime soon.
Don’t forget to factor in the fact that the Magic Kingdom will be closing early on days when they’ll be having Trick or Treat events, and I imagine there will be more of those on the last wk of October than earlier in the month. And also don’t forget to buy your Trick or Treat tickets! (They’re separate from theme park tickets)
Post # 8
KC-2722: I don’t think they would babysit very much for us, maybe just once or twice. I think they just want to be there to experience Disney with their grandson.
BWLE: Those both sound fun! I just looked up the Halloween event, and it looks like it will be going on during the whole month of October. I guess I can’t use that in my argument anymore 🙁
mixtaperomance: We told them about the financial aspect and that we wouldn’t be able to stay in as nice of a resort, but I think they still want us to sacrifice so we can all go together.
Beebityboo: We see them very often, since we live in the same city. I’m not too concerned about any parks closing early, since my son tends to go to bed early anyway. We don’t want him to get overtired during the trip. We could plan something with the in-laws in the future. They can be hard to plan with though, since they don’t have much of the same interests as us (apart from Disney).
Post # 9
Bichon Frise: In that case, I think you should just keep your plans. Hopefully your Darling Husband will take charge of explaining it to them. Tell them they’re welcome to change their dates to join you guys, but if not then maybe you can make some other plans together At another time. Hope it all works out!