Post # 1
We are scheduled to leave on our honeymoon to Puerta Vallarta on May 17th!!! Now, both FI and I have no problem going, it’s only the flu!!! We have planned to call the doctor and get a script for Tamiflu and take it while we are there, the pharmasist I talked to said that’s what a lot of his patients are doing. He also said, the only people who are passing away from the Swine Flu, are people whose immune systems are already compromised, people with AIDS, taking chemotherapy, etc.
So FI and I are all for going, my FMIL on the other hand is a serious worry wart! She really doesn’t want us to go, and I don’t want her to worry the whole time. She has even offered to pay the difference if we switch locations. The problem is, we got a really good deal when we booked, and I can’t find anywhere that wouldn’t cost more than $300-$400 more, and I really don’t feel comfortable asking them to pay that, and our budget is pretty much tapped out!
What would you do? Would you still go or move destinations?
Post # 3
Hmmm. We were scheduled to leave for the Mayan Riviera on May 12, and we decided to switch to Jamaica (for about the same amount of $$ as it would cost you to switch). We’re not big germaphobes or anything, but taking a chance didn’t seem like the best plan to us. But what really tipped the scales for us was hearing that since tourism has nosedived, most resorts are only operating at 20 – 30% capacity, with lots of restaurants and tours and stuff shut down. We’re doing the all-inclusive thing, and didn’t want to lose our options because the place was empty.
Hope this helps – I know you’ll have a great honeymoon either way!
Post # 4
Post # 5
And another quote:
U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano acknowledged claims by Mexican authorities who believe their cases have peaked. "I have no reason to think that is inaccurate," Napolitano said.
"What the epidemiologists are seeing now with this particular strain of H1N1 is that the severity of the disease, the severity of the flu — how sick you get — is not stronger than regular seasonal flu."
My feeling is – would you stay home during regular flu season? Then stay home. Otherwise, go for it. Have fun, whatever you decide!
Post # 6
I dont know, it’s such a tough call. You can probably go and be fine but you are certainly increasing your risk by going. Personally I don’t think $300-400 is very much money so I would take them up on the offer if they really are insistent and don’t mind. And also if you can find a place that excites you guys as much as your other tirp did. If not, and you’re really set on Mexico, then just go and take the tamiflu. Hope that helps!
Post # 7
Personally, I wouldn’t want to even worry for a second about it, so I would change my honeymoon destination. But, I probably would not ask my FMIL to pay for it. If she offered, I may accept, but wouldn’t request it.
Post # 8
We are headed to Mexico in June for our honeymoon and haven’t changed our plans. With the Swine Flu being all over the United States too, it doesn’t make sense to worry. You could catch it here at home too…just bring your Tamiflu and hand sanitizer and have a great time!
Post # 9
We’re headed to Mexico as well. We hear the resorts are picking up the pace and all are keeping open with the restaurants and all. If you have time, check out http://www.tripadvisor.com and there are lots of posters on there that are in Mexico or have gone there very recently with the outbreak. When it all first happened, I think we could have switched but the resort is charging cancellation fees now. We should be fine! Tell your MIL you’ll call her everyother day.
Post # 10
I wouldn’t be worried about the swine flu but about all the violence that is happening right now with the drug dealers and such.
Good luck with your honeymoon and congrats!!