Post # 1
Ok bees, I need help with deciding whether or not to continue plans to travel due to Hurricane Sandy. Please don’t think I’m not sensitive to all those affected. I’m just stressing out trying to decide if we should postpone or change plans altogether.
DH’s company informed him a couple of weeks ago that he needed to do some training in the U.S. and that we should combine our home leave with it to save the company money.
The original plan was to fly from Europe to NYC for his training in a week and a half. Neither of us has ever been there and we figured it would be a great anniversary trip. After his training (1 week) we’d hop on an Amtrak train and go to visit his family in MD for Thanksgiving.
Now I know that NYC and other places are STILL dealing with the aftermath. But I do have faith that they will have everything as close to running at full capacity as soon as possible….although I am concerned about the Amtrak trains being under water.
The problem is that last Friday we were still waiting for confirmation for the actual training. I called Monday and the class is still scheduled. One person at his company is in charge of booking the training while another is in charge of booking flights. We are responsible for booking hotel…which I’ve researched but haven’t booked b/c I don’t want to be out $2k for hotel if the others don’t make the arrangements in time. Now his boss has to approve it. We’re still waiting on confirmation on that.
We’re a week and a half out from leaving. I’m trying to finish up stuff at work so I can be gone for a couple of weeks. We still have packing, Christmas gift shopping (we’re celebrating while there) and a TON of other things that need to be done. We still don’t have arrangements for pick-up/drop-off at the airport.
Darling Husband tells me not to worry since we are seasoned travelers and have done many trips last minute…we actually work better under pressure. I’m leaning more on either
1) having him do the training in MD instead of NYC which is a possibility but Darling Husband figures the company is forcing him into training so they should pay for us to go where we want to go
2) go to training in MD in January…but Darling Husband wants to be with family for the holidays so he’s not happy with this idea
3) try to get them to pay for online training and us go back to see family just the week of Thanksgiving.
So, what do you think?
Post # 3
I think its best to get your life back to normal as soon as possible, but I may give this a little time to blow over.
Post # 4
If you are worried about the hotel, most hotels will let you cancel 24 hours in advance and they will not charge you. I had to cancel a trip to Atlanta earlier this month and I wasn’t charged. I would book the hotel and play it by ear.
Post # 5
I think you should just do the training in MD. The NYC you are thinking about and want to see is not the same NYC that is there right now. I would just spend the time in MD if you can, make a longer visit with family.
Post # 6
Right now, I think you really need to talk to his employer about what is best to be done. At this point, NYC is going to take a few weeks, if not months to recover from this.
Post # 7
NYC is a mess and the subway could be weeks from running. I think md would be a better bet.
Post # 8
Please don’t go to NYC. They have enough to deal with right now, I’d say just do the training in MD and visit with family.
As someone who lives in a resort area, it is devastating to have to deal with tourists in the aftermath of destruction. We deal with it every year here on the coast. After hurricane Irene last year, the tourists were piling in to our beach by the car loads. Most residents were without power, transportation, food, and for many…their homes. Yet to accommodate the tourists, they had to put their life on hold to go to work. Someone has to staff the hotels, rental companies, restaurants, etc.
Transportation around NYC is a nightmare right now, from what I hear. Like @kerensa: said, it’s not the NYC you are thinking of and expecting to see.
Post # 9
Well today (1 Day post Sandy) and 10 Days from now no doubt New York City (the City part) will look a whole lot different.
Although there was some issues in the Downtown core, not nearly as much as happened out on Long Island and along the coastline from what I’ve read and seen on CNN (to be clear here, I don’t live on the Eastern Seaboard of the USA… just am a major Weather & News Junkie)
Subway and Amtrak could be another matter… it is my understanding that there are a lot of inspections / repair work to be done before all that gets back to normal.
On the otherhand, it isn’t like Maryland is a million miles away (aprox 190 Miles from Manhattan to Baltimore) … So gettijng there even if the trains are running will be relatively easy by bus or car.
I guess the only concern with this part of the plan, is WHERE do the Inlaws live in Maryland… afterall it isn’t a gigantic state… and how effected were they by Hurricane Sandy (for example, do they live in a Coastal community)
Personally, if you can check in on the basics that you’ll need for this trip…
- Which NYC Airport will you be flying into
- Which Hotels (as someone else said most Hotels here need you to only cancel before 6 PM on the Day of Arrival)
- Find out where the training is happening in NYC, and that is still a go post Sandy.
- Have a back up plan for transportation (inside NYC is easy… there are plenty of cabs, and not that expensive to get around that way)… but you’ll need one to get to Maryland IF the trains aren’t running
- And make sure that the Family end of things are ok
After that IMO it is all gravey… I mean really by my calculation it looks like you guys would be in the US 1-1/2 to 2 Months… including Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Years with family… I say you should go for it.
The US is filled with resilient people… things will turn around pretty quickly in the Northeast (America’s most populated region)… this IS NOT like Katrinna (a category 5) and New Orleans… that was truly an anomoly.
Hope this helps,
PS… I am gonna “sort of disagree” with some of the other Bees in regards to tourists. Certainly they aren’t the best thing in an area where there is MASSIVE DEVASTATION & CHAOS, but I can tell you that where things will be trying to return to normal quickly (like NYC) that Tourists are a major part of that equation. Tourists Dollars help a city keep afloat… empty hotels are never a good thing for a city. No doubt within a very very short time frame we’ll see messages here promoting NYC in an attempt to get folks back asap.
Example, The Bahamas was hit hard by Hurricane Sandy earlier this week… and already we are seeing ads promoting the Atlantis Resort with Package Deals for folks who book NOW thru the Winter. I was chuckling to myself as they were running on CNN at the same time as CNN was preparing for Sandy’s landfall / hit on the Eastern USA. Recovery happens a lot quicker than we realize.
Post # 10
@Sunflower–girl: In order to get the cheapest rate (so we don’t have to pay out of pocket) and closest to DH’s training, we have to a non-refundable rate….although I checked online and they are allowing people to cancel b/c of the storm w/o penalty.
DH’s training is STILL happening…they’ve just canceled it this week. It’s on Wall Street and what I’ve seen, it’s pretty bad in that area.
Thanks bees for all the info. I’m in the process of typing an email that Darling Husband can send to work telling them we’ve decided not to go to NYC and providing them flight details to get us to MD. My biggest problem right now is that there are no direct flights there and we either have to go to NYC or Dallas….which adds an extra day of travel to our itinerary.
We’ve been in contact with his family and everyone there is ok and went back to work yesterday. They told us to scrap NYC b/c they didn’t think we’d be able to get out of there by train….we have limited news here on the situation.
I was so looking forward to going to NYC and know that one day in the future we’ll get there. Our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected and just know that us Americans overseas are thinking of you.
Post # 11
@This Time Round: I’m not saying “don’t go to NYC for the next 6 months”, I’m simply saying…just give them a few weeks to get back on their feet.
I know personally in my area, when Irene hit last year we had mass devistation. The majority of our area was flooded. Our local government did a huge disservice to us when they opened re-entry to our area for non-residents after barely a week.
The residents (who staff the hotels, restaurants, store, etc) were in no way shape or form ready to “put on a smile and cater to the tourists” when their whole home life was in shambles. Did we all need the money? Absolutely. I live in a 100% tourist based area. I know what that’s like. That being said, it was emotionally hard for many locals to have to go deal with the tourists…who are lets face it…often demanding and could really have cared less what we were going through. They were all upset their vacation had been “ruined” and delayed several days.
I’m not saying in any way the OP would be like that, I’m just trying to paint a picture as someone who lives with this kind of thing almost every year. I feel very blessed that my home is a very high part of our area, and I personally don’t ever have flooding, but it does affect many of my friends and coworkers.
Post # 12
I would go with MD around the holidays, it seems like a win/win. I’m in NJ and I don’t know how MD is doing exactly, but I’m not seeing it on the news very much so I think that’s a good sign?