Shower 1,400 miles away… Can it be done? How do you do it?

posted 3 years ago in Parties
Post # 3
277 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

@lanf5046:  I’m in the same boat. FI and myself live in Florida but wedding/everything is in Michigan since all family is up there. My fmil wants to have a shower so I said ok but to just have it as a get together and anyone who is getting an actual gift to just send it to our apartment since shipping everything would cost a lot of money. So people can either get a card saying what our gift is or whatever they like. Everyone understands this and are all in agreeance about it.

Post # 5
3570 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

We did this.  I mailed the gifts back to myself. 

Post # 6
11772 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2013

You could mail them! Or leave them at your mother’s and drive them back down with you after the wedding?

Post # 7
183 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Not quite as far (~700 miles), but i had a similar situation for my bridal and baby showers.

For my bridal shower in my hometown (where our families still live), we had quite a few people ship gifts since they know we live far away.  However, since it’s a shower, people do seem to like to show up with something, so we had lots of stuff there too.  We prioritized the gifts, and had our parents bring a few things each time they came to visit (they drove a couple times), and we didn’t have all the gifts at our house til about a year after the wedding.

For the baby shower, i asked the moms to make sure people knew we’d prefer having things shipped to us (a lot of times shipping is free when they buy ~$50 anyway!).  Again, people like to bring something to the shower, but most of the big things got shipped, and they brought an outfit or something small to the shower.  You mentioned about taking pictures, and we actually did! I took pictures of all the gifts that were shipped to our house, and displayed them at the gift table, and i made sure that i pointed them out to the people at the shower who sent the gifts, and everyone seemed happy with that. 

Another option that we considered, but didn’t end up doing:  for big items brought to the shower, you could return stuff (especially if it’s from a registry, a receipt shouldn’t be needed), then buy it again when you get home. 

Post # 8
277 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

@lanf5046:  I never thought of pictures that would be really cute 🙂

Post # 10
490 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2013 - Callanwolde Fine Arts Center

@lanf5046:  We had a shower in SC where DH grew up because his family’s church friends really wanted to throw us one. DH and I were already planning on driving a U-haul from SC to our home in TX a few weeks after the shower since his parents were giving us their old piano and a few other things. We got a ton of big, heavy, and breakable gifts at the shower, so it was a good thing we were already planning on making the 18hr drive.

Post # 11
2419 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

My best friend lived in Colorado, was having her wedding in PA and then moving to Japan a few weeks later. We threw her a gift card shower that way she could buy what she needed once she got back to Colorado so it could be shipped with the rest of her stuff to their new house on base in Japan. Maybe you could do something along the same lines. It was hilarious to see how some people wrapped their gift cards/money up to make it more creative.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors