Size 12/14 brides: What was your dress shopping experience like?

posted 2 years ago in Dress
Post # 2
1880 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

I went to a local bridal boutique, and all of the samples were 10-14. I fit perfectly in the samples. Don’t be discouraged! 

Post # 3
225 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

Honestly, I think I’d give it a few weeks to try and work on your self esteem. Maybe talk to a counselor, focus on the health of your body instead of its size, cuddle up with your FI, and look at beautiful curvy brides for inspiration. I’m a street size 10/12 and I ordered my dress in a 14. For the most part I didn’t have any issues trying on dresses but there were a few samples that just didn’t fit. It was kind of embarrassing, but I shrugged it off and moved on. There was one consultant who seemed to be trying too hard to not make me feel bad with comments like “It’s not that it doesn’t fit, you just need spanx! It fits, I swear.” “This is a good silhouette for curvy girls” and stuff like that. It made me a little self conscious, but I ended up buying my dress from a shop that didn’t make me feel that way. It can be a really fun experience, just know that some stuff won’t fit and it’s not the end of the world. Have fun, girl.

Post # 4
1028 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

seeker:  NO! NO! and NO! Do not allow yourself to get down about being a NORMAL size! There are going to be plenty of dresses to fit you and some that wont so please dont stress yourself about it. You know they cant order every dress in every size so try on the style you like best and hopefully the consultant (if she is any good) will tuck and pin the dress to give you the best idea of what it will look like. My best piece of advice is to wear the proper undergarments, approx. heels you’ll be wearing, you best smile and an open mind! Good luck and happy dress hunting!

Post # 5
1622 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2014 - Cape May

Honey you will be fine! I’m a 14-16 and I found a dress that makes me feel skinny. Now that was worth every penny! All I needed was a fantastic consultant with a good  eye. Also,  I had great luck with Allure and David Tuterra dresses. Both are great for us curvy gals. Happy hunting! 

Post # 6
4483 posts
Honey bee

I went to David’s Bridal. Say what you will about them, but they had plenty of dresses in my size, and I didn’t have to go up 3 sizes either, so I didn’t have to shop plus size. Nothing wrong with *being* plus size, but there sure as hell is a problem with the poor selection and higher prices associated with it. I didn’t want to be in the corner with the 3 dresses made by the few designers who think I’m small enough to be worthy of them, and I didn’t have that. I had a fun, rewarding experience.

Post # 7
4483 posts
Honey bee

Also, check out my waist at size 14, 180 pounds. There is totally something flattering for you out there!

Post # 8
5016 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2014

seeker:  I am about a size 12, and I had a lovely experience. I think that there was only about 1 dress that I just couldn’t fit into. Most of them I could wiggle into (usually over my head – i have a big booty but my upper body is pretty slim) but they wouldn’t zip up. I don’t think it could hurt to call bridal shops and ask what most of their sample sizes are – however, I am pretty sure there are plenty of 12+ brides that have to fit into dresses somewhere! You will have a great experience.

Post # 11
4483 posts
Honey bee

seeker:  call ahead and find out what sizes they carry, and find a shop that welcomes you as a customer 🙂

Post # 12
158 posts
Blushing bee

seeker:  I know how you feel! i’m a street size 10, but bridal size 14/16 (big boobs/big butt) and this is my biggest fear too. Expecially because i need to go to a couple trunk shows because the local stores have not ordered the Fall 2014 dresses i have fallen in love with. 

Post # 13
1111 posts
Bumble bee

Coming from someone who also is busty (and bridal size 14), you have nothing to worry about, I promise. I too had a crippling fear of trying on very nice dresses because of getting stuck in them one too many times and a good bridal consultant will make you look great. I too was shocked that anything fit on me at all, but I was able to try on a sample that was actually my exact size.

My advice would be to shop around for your bridal salon; ask your friends and look at reviews. The woman that helped me pick out a dress was a gem and listened to me when I told her what I wanted–off white, lace, sparkly, and 100% boob support, and I got exactly that. 

I want to reassure you so much that I’m overcoming my own fears and putting up a picture of myself. Yes, that is a size 14 dress and it is a Casablanca–a designer brand. 

Post # 14
6525 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

seeker:  i will be honest, when you start shopping for a wedding dress you will analyze every single flaw. Its important that you try on every shape dress to see what flatters your body type. 

Its also important to work with a bridal consultant who is experienced and will help you. Let them suggest something for you bc they have seen all shapes and sizes and know what will flatter you best. But also, at the end of the day you also need to be comfortable and feel beautiful in that dress.  

I always wanted a huge ballgown and i ended up with a trumpet fit n flare! My bridal consultant said “why do you want to hide your figure? You have a beautiful shape. I know what you want.” She pulled some dresses and i tried them om and she nailed it. She was amazing. I never would have picked a dress like that on my own

Don’t feel discouraged. There are wedding gowns out there for every shape and size! 

Post # 15
111 posts
Blushing bee

seeker:  I am a 12/14 size a lot of sample dresses were size 10. One consultant was really nice and put me in a dress similar shape to the one I liked then went behind me and held the other dress that was too small in place so I would feel and see almost what it was like. I thought that was very creative and helpful I tried size 12 in watters or wtoo Delphine it fit great (trying to order that dress this week,after having dress regret). davids bridal sizes fit okay true to my size 12 and 14 are big now (48 lbs down so far) just dont order anything from davids bridal if you are not 110% sure first because they are all about no refunds, maybe exchanges at some stores. Good luck. Take lots of photos look back at them then make up your mind. You will be fine

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors