- 4 years ago
- Wedding: August 2013
Yesterday was amazing, bees.
(scroll way down for pictures)
DH (!!!) and I woke up and had our coffee/ate breakfast, and then I jumped in the shower while he ran to MIL’s house to drop off the couple of things that I forgot for the reception venue and to pick up our flowers. We thought he lost his debit card (panic!), but after he dropped me off at the salon, he stopped by the last place he used it and they had it (yay!).
My bridesmaids and I got our hair done, I had my makeup done. My cousin/bridesmaid’s mom got ready with us and grabbed us lunch (and was there in case we needed anything), and my MOH’s fiance hung out in the area for the same reason (he was seriously amazing–he drove us around, did our music, carried lots of stuff, anything we needed). Photographers showed up at noon to do some dress shots and then one of them headed to our reception venue to take pictures before meeting up with the guys. During this time (probably when taking pictures of my accessories), one of my earrings got lost–cue photographer panicking, but I said that it wasn’t a big deal, because, really, who cares?
Get to the ceremony venue, do the first look (LOVED), moved on to take group shots and family photos. Family photos were a HUGE pain in the ass and I ended up doing a lot of yelling to get people to STFU and listen to the photographers. We ended up behind schedule because of it, womp womp.
Ceremony starts, everything goes great (and it was bone dry from the rain we had the night before). I kept staring my my DH and he kept looking off elsewhere lol. Kissed, signed our marriage license (I panicked having to sign with my new name because I hadn’t practiced! lol), more family pictures, off we went. There was more confusion on where to meet with the bridal party, we couldn’t get a hold of ANY of the groomsmen, etc., but walking downtown got us a lot of honks and “CONGRATULATIONS!!” yelled, which was great. More bridal party photos, and we ended up like 45 minutes late to the reception. Sigh.
Get announced, first dance, and the plan was to open the buffet, eat, and when everyone was through the lines, do speeches while the guests were eating (oh, and the venue had someone serve and carry mine and DH’s plates for us, awesome), however, our DJ was verrrrrrrrry slow on the uptake and took forever to get the microphone out. Best man speech was funny (he was totally unprepared, but it was fine), and I teared up for the first time…and then my MOH got up and did this beautiful, heartfelt speech, and I lost it! Awww.
The rest of the night is kind of a blur. We didn’t do any of the traditional wedding stuff, so it was cupcakes and s’mores bar, dancing, more pictures, more dancing. DH’s cousin went and asked the DJ to play some Brazilian music and did this awesome dance with his (Brazilian) wife that was just amazing. The best man got a little crazy and ended up wearing only his vest and tie and giving the groom a lap dance, and my new little brother thought it would be awesome to only wear his vest and tie, as well (it was pretty great). I danced with my amazing bridesmaids, sung with everyone to a few songs, and then it was over. My cousin kept commenting how I obviously married in to the right family (tbh, our family is pretty boring), because some of the only people up dancing and staying the longest were my new in-laws.
I was panicking a little because I didn’t know who was cleaning up our decor and getting our gifts (MIL was supposed to take them, but she left early and before either of us could have her do it), but my grandma and mother stayed all night and helped clean up and pack up the decor, FIL and SMIL packed up our gifts, and several friends helped carry things out to the cars, which I thought was very sweet. My MOH’s FI ended up taking my purse and the bag of cards that I had so that I could walk down the stairs with my flowers and my husband.
So many people came and said that it was the best wedding they’d ever been to. I got tons of compliments on everything–the decor
And then we stopped at McDonald’s on the way home…classy. lol
Things that went wrong:
– lost one of my earrings so I had no earrings (oh well)
– MIL apparently had no idea that there were two bags of favors that she was supposed to take that morning…except that she forgot them, so DH and his brother to the rescue…but they only grabbed one bag of them (and someone put two of them on our sweetheart table instead of where they were supposed to be)
– the groomsmen are dumb and sat at the wrong table (oh well)
– my shoes sucked and my feet are very battered (but I had the foresight to bring those foldable flats and immediately changed into those)
– the DJ…sigh. I gave him, at his request, lists of “must play” and “do not play” songs two weeks before the wedding. The very first slow song he played (right after dinner) was “A Thousand Years” by Christina Perri…a song that I HATE and had written, very explicitly, on our do not play list. My MOH went and spoke with him, and he was apathetic–his response was, “I didn’t really read the list, but this is the most popular wedding song of the year…” and my MOH told him that she did not care and grabbed the DNP list and went over it with him. A few songs later, a Black Eyed Peas song came on, and I must have had a look on my face because my cousin/bridesmaid immediately came over, asked me about it, and went and spoke with the DJ because my list also said, “NO BLACK EYED PEAS.” He was, still, apathetic, half-assed apologized, and got mad at my cousin when she tried to go over the list with him. Once I can understand (despite having the damned list for two weeks…) but twice? He didn’t do it again after that, but he did play a LOT of our “must play” songs during dinner (songs we wanted to dance to!).