Post # 1
Girls I am looking for some advice. Every time I vacuum our carpet there is this weird, bad smell. I think the people that lived there before us had dogs or ats. It smell like pee, maybe????
I usually vacuum and then spray some air freshner. But the smell still bugs me. What should I do to get rid of it? Do you think that getting it professionaly cleaned will help. it was before we moved in…
Post # 3
- Wedding: July 2012 - The Gables Inn, Santa Rosa, CA
You can rent a carpet shampooer from your local hardware store for pretty cheap– it sounds like there’s some old stuff in the carpet that’s getting stirred up when you vacuum. Shampooing it should get rid of it.
Post # 4
Look into an enzyme cleaner of some kind maybe? If it is an animal urine odor then the enzyme cleaner should help eliminate the odor.
Post # 5
If it’s pets… Nature’s Miracle. Found at most pet store chains like Petco.
Post # 6
- Wedding: October 2011 - Bed & Breakfast
1. Get a blacklight. Get the room as dark as possible and turn it on. All of the areas that glow extra brightly are organic material (e.g. urine, vomit, blood, etc.)
2. Get an enzyme cleaner and use it to thouroughly soak the glowing areas. Really soak the area so that the cleaner goes down into the padding under the carpet. Allow it to fully dry.
3. Vacuum as usual
4. If the smell is still there, use this solution to thouroughly saturate the area again: 1 tablespoon baking soda, 1 tablespoon dishwashing liquid, 2 cups peroxide (like you buy at the drug store for cleaning wounds). Allow it to fully dry.
5. Vaccuum as usual.
6. If it’s still there, you may want to get the carpet professionally cleaned… or just get new carpet and padding.