(Closed) someone help – my microwave has lost its marbles.

posted 6 years ago in Home
Post # 3
Member
413 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

@sorrycharlie: Do you still have the wrapping on the chocolate? It could be that. Does the bowl have any silver on it? That’ll spark in the microwave too.

Gwen

Post # 4
Member
2084 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 1993

No idea, but this has to be the best post title I’ve seen in a while…

Post # 6
Member
1944 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

Out of everything you microwave it’s only these 3? Weird as hell! The only thing I can think of is if you have a wire shelf in yours? I do in mine and sometimes if it’s not sitting properly it will spark on the area it’s suppose to sit on.

Post # 7
Member
1543 posts
Bumble bee

That’s definitely weird. 

*goes off to google this stuff*

Post # 9
Member
955 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I found a couple different things online. One says if you put too small of an amount of whatever it is you are microwaving it can cause sparks. Says to use a larger amount of whatever it is u are micro-ing. Then somthing else says if you put a cup of water in the micro at the same time as chocolate it will keep it from sparking. But mostly all I see is that the microwave probably needs replaced. Many people report it acting up with a couple differnt things inside but in the end it was the microwave that needed replace.

Post # 11
Member
351 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

Ahhhhhh! Your microwave is possessed, get some holy water and a priest! 

(Please update us, this is super intersting. I wonder if it has to do with mineral metal content or something of that natural, bizarre for sure!)

Post # 12
Member
3369 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

I don’t know if anyone else will find this funny, but my DH is a science geek and always has (very lengthy) answers to stuff like this, so I asked him.  He says, “There’s no common denominator in those items which would cause the magnetron to output radiation any differently.  But I would like to see that happen!”  I know that doesn’t help at all, but he was so cute when he said it.

Post # 13
Member
592 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I think your microwave and mine are in some secret microwave freak out pact.

Mine randomly stopped heating things up about a month ago. I didn’t get rid of it because we use it for the timer (sad, I know) and I didn’t want to buy a new one because we are likely moving and I figured if we needed a microwave when we move we’ll register for a new one in our wedding registry.

So, until then…no microwave…or so I thought. Then I randomly put some butter in it yesterday to melt it and it worked fine. Weird – right?

Anyway – so not helpful I realize, but I sympathize with your microwave freakout.

Post # 14
Member
2433 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

That’s the strangest microwave malfunction I’ve ever heard of! Have you considered calling an appliance repair place to see if they could take a look at it? Or maybe you could call the manufacturer? I would just want to get it checked out to make sure it isn’t possibly a malfunction which could cause a fire. Probably isn’t, but I would just double-check it to be safe. 

Post # 16
Member
3801 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

The only success I’ve had with melting chocolate in the microwave and it not burning or sparking is when I got a Dolce Frutti from the grocery store. Usually it is located in the produce near the fruit. It is a dip for making chocolate covered strawberries, etc. It microwaves easily.

The topic ‘someone help – my microwave has lost its marbles.’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors