Post # 1
So I am newly engaged and love the idea of planning for a wdding but, in all honesty, I am so overwhelmed with all the ideas and colors, etc. I am not sure what to go with. Hoping you guys can help maybe steer me in some sort of direction. I already have my dress that is a champagne color with a lace ivory overlay. My bridesmaids are going to be wearing the Peacock color from David’s Bridal in whatever style they choose.
1. What colors would go well with shoes for both myself and the girls? I LOVE the idea of TOMS because I am not a heels girl. What about the guys? My fiance wants to wear a bowtie and gray but, not sure if that will jive well?
2. What about flowers….in all honesty I would love to see/hear about any ideas to keep the flower cost down.
3. What unique/creative things have you used or seen involving save the dates, invites, decor and receptions?
4. My fiance and I are in between tradtional and totally offbeat, meaning we will want some tradition incorporated but, some new fun ideas as well.
5. Did you have an actual theme at your wedding? It seems like most weddings only play off the brides interests but, I want to include my guy as much as possible. A little info about us…we live in Arizona, met online, love cheesecake and wine, don’t like normal cake, he’s a gamer and into science fiction and fantasy while I am Glee obsessed, love music of all types, a die hard Harry Potter fan and am a DIY lover. How the heck can we possibly integrate our different tastes/hobbies into our wedding without it being a geek overload or tacky!?
I would love to hear from tons of you or see pictures. The Knot is helpful but, almost too overloaded with information so I am happy I found this site.
Post # 3
(1) Why not let each girl pick their own shoes and just pick one color that matches? My girls range from the stiletto-wearing, to flat-wearing, to someone on crutches in a cast… so I told them to pick a gold shoe and be done with it. The guys usually just wear black dress shoes. If they rent tuxes, the shoes usually come with them. Grey suits would look fine; make th bowtie the same color as the dresses and it will go together fine.
(2) Use in-season flowers is my only suggestion.
(3) This is too big a question to answer. Google “off-beat weddings” or something like that and you’ll find thousand of different and unique ideas!
(4) No question (skipping)
(5) We had no theme – just formal, classic, and tradition. You can do as much or as little of a theme as you want, and it doesn’t have to be only tied to you
Post # 4
First, congratulations to the engagement!
1) I would go with nude
2) DIY. Get the flowers in bulk, make the bouquets and decorations with help from the bridesmaids.
3) Such a broad question… Join The Knot and look for idea there!
4) We’re combining Swedish and Canadian wedding traditions, sort of composing a smorgasbord of the ones we like the most – skipping things we don’t like (like garters and stuff…)
5) I think you should have an enchanted forest theme! Google it and you’ll get lots of ideas!
Post # 5
Yay, I wore that dress! 🙂 You’ve got plenty of time to nail down a lot of these details, try not to stress!
The wedding party was in a similar color, dark green – but their dresses were long so I told them I couldn’t care less what shoes they wore. I wore sparkly chuck taylors because hell if I was gonna be on my feet for 8-10 hours in heels when I’m already 5’10. My husband changed into his chucks after the ceremony and spent the reception in these. Ignore the weird faces.
Flower-wise, I just went with all white flowers. Simple, classic, goes with everything! We did non-floral centerpieces with lots of candles to keep the flower cost down.
We didn’t really have a theme (in the words of my husband, “it’s wedding themed”), but we tried to incorporate some fun elements. I didn’t it to be all about me either. We had two towers of cupcakes, on the top of his was a character from one of his favorite games (with the help of a Barbie and Ken ornament set from my mother).
Post # 6
I’d just pick a color for shoes like nude or silver and let the bridesmaids wear whatever shoe they want. I know you like the idea of Toms but I personally would be super self-conscious if I had to wear like sneakers and a dress, and I’d hate it the entire time (for one, I personally find heels more comfortable… I know I’m weird… and my legs look better in them). For you it’s fine, but it may not be for them.
We have a theme of art deco and books… both things both of us like. We originally were doing books and peacock colors but our venue (which Fiance insisted on) is an art deco theater, so we’re including art deco touches as well. AND the theater colors are my favorite color (turquoise) and gold so it was easy to pick the colors, lol.
If you both like cheesecake but not normal cake, definitely do cheesecake for the cake.