(Closed) SPINOFF: Location, Sq Ft & Rent

posted 6 years ago in Home
Post # 3
3969 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

@Kkaattii:  I will be living in the Upper Valley of New Husband near Dartmouth and unfortunately, you can barely pay $825 for a 600 sq 1 bedroom. Your apartment would probably cost almost $2000/month plus utilities here.

Post # 4
751 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

I live in Williamsburg and we pay about 1350 for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 1500 square foot house. I love having the big yard though, we talked about a townhouse or apartment for cheaper rent but I can’t give up the yard.

Post # 5
228 posts
Helper bee

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area (but not in San Francisco itself) and pay $1350 for a 1 bedroom/1 bathroom, about 700 square feet.  If I lived in San Francisco, this apartment would probably cost around $1800.

In comparison, when we lived outside of Boston a few months ago, we were paying $1800 (utilities included — important in Boston) for a 1 bedroom/1 bathroom that was at least 1200 square feet.

Post # 6
3799 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2018

Our 592sqft condo is in Singapore (I feel like I’m always saying this but we are LDR atm, and I move in early July, SO has lived there for about a month).  It’s not in the cheapest area, but it’s nowhere near the most expensive, in fact, it’s pretty cheap* for what it is at SG$3200 a month (US$2500ish).  *Cheap for Singapore, it’s stupidly expensive there.

As I mentioned in the other thread, theres not a proper kitchen – no oven/stove just a tiny two-ring hob and a microwave.  The study only just fits in a single/twin bed.  The only thing we can fit in the master bedroom is the bed (no room for bedside lamps except for on the window sill).  The bathroom has a really lovely rain type shower and has a sliding door to the master which is really nice (the bathroom layout is slightly different to the plan and has the washer in there too).  HS stands for household shelter, and we will use it for storage but it’s designed as a bomb shelter (a requirement in Singapore).

It’s fine for us.  And we really can’t afford anything bigger.  But I worry we’ll start feeling a bit claustrophobic.  We will see what happens.  The balcony really bumped up the price, but so so worth it.

It looks like we can fit a lot more in on the plan.  But there’s not really room for the table so we have one outside instead.  But since it’s nice and warm that’s ok.

Post # 7
4676 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I live just outside of Milwaukee, WI and we pay $760 for 2 bedroom, 1100 sq. foot duplex apartment.  It is an older building (circa 1930’s), has one bathroom, one big and one small bedroom, a tiny kitchen, and great living and dinning room space.  We also have a small porch, parking! and a little bit of a yard.  It was a great find because most of the stuff in our area was going for 800-900.  

Post # 8
1348 posts
Bumble bee

Marin County, CA (Just north of SF over the Golden Gate Bridge).
My SO measured at just under 400 sq ft and we pay $1100/mo.
We have a very big yard though, bigger than the house. So during mid spring-mid autumn we spend a lot of time outside. Our kitchen has hardly any storage and our bathroom is about 15 sq ft with a tiny sink and only a shower.

We can’t wait to get something with more storage. Also would be nice to have an area outside of the living room to put the cat litter. 

Post # 9
2894 posts
Sugar bee

Live in a house now. But our apartment just a year ago in Maryland, near Baltimore was 900 sq/ft and $1300 a month. 

Post # 10
2616 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I lived in Queens, NYC and paid $1700/mo. for a 1 bedroom, roughly 800 sqft.

Post # 11
7904 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2012 - Pelican Grand Beach Resort

I’m in a 2/1 1050 sqft  with a porch in Gainesville and we pay $745. That’s fairly cheap for around here for this size, but it’s older. We’re about to move to Jacksonville and our 2/2/ 1050 sqft will be $995 a month and we had to search hard for a decent place of a decent size at that price.

Post # 12
91 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

When we use to rent last year we had a 2 bedroom 1 bath With just over 900 sq ft with a balcony for $740 a month in Orlando fl

Post # 13
543 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

Right now we live in a 2bdr/2bath apartment that is $600 a month. It is 1065 sq. ft. We aren’t in the best neighborhood right now though. It’s just what we could afford at the time.

In the next month or so we are moving to a much better part of the city. We are going to rent another 2bdr/2bath apartment that’s 1065 sq. ft. for $884 a month. This apartment is in a much better location, has better ammenties, and is gated.

We live in Greensboro, NC by the way.

Post # 14
9056 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2010

We own our apartment but are planning to rent it out soon. Its a two bed, two bath about an our outside of Vancouver, bc and we would rent it for 1100 plus utilities. It’s 860 sq ft. Five years old with granite counters and stainless steel appliances. Both are full baths wih soaked tubs. 

Post # 15
1319 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

We live in a small/middle sized city in the south. It’s a 2br/2ba, ~1250 sq.ft., for $750. It’s a nice little city, and the complex is located on the lake. Pretty new, really nice, 2 pools, it’s pretty awesome. It’s just not a metro area, so it’s not expensive here.

Our last was 690 sq.ft. in the same complex, and after 3 weeks there together, we’d had enough. Moved a week after the wedding. This is much better. 🙂

Post # 16
2793 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Suburbs of Boston,

2 bed / 2 bath with deck

1050 square feet

The topic ‘SPINOFF: Location, Sq Ft & Rent’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors