Post # 1
This is a spinoff from this thread – http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/share-your-best-resume-cover-letter-interview-career-tips#axzz2hqkDpJHC
It had lots of great advice, but a lot of it was specifically for hunting for a new job. A position has recently come up in my workunit. It’s a higher position and is in the field that I’m studying in.
Any tips for applying, CVs, cover letters or interviews?
Post # 5
@Brooke1226: Here is my advice:
1) Make sure your resume is update. Update your objective on the resume to reflect that you are looking for a job that allows you to utlize the skills needed to perform well in this role
2) Start networking. Is your boss the hiring manager? Make it known that you want the job. Schedule a 1:1, or wait until your boss is alone and pull him/her aside and make your interest known. If your manager is not the hiring manager..you will still need their support/approval first.
3) If you can job shadow for this position, do so ASAP. If you cannot, research the position as much as possible so that you can share this with the hiring manager in your interview
4) Apply for the job and submit your resume
5) Prepare for your interview. Is this a competency based interview? Skill based interview? Find this out and start writing out your answers and practice saying them outloud.