(Closed) SPLIT END 911! What are your remedies?

posted 7 years ago in Beauty
Post # 3
3142 posts
Sugar bee

What texture is your hair?  is it coloured?

Post # 5
467 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

i use a deep conditioner once every few weeks (or when i remember to haha) – i like the garnier one – its one that you use and leave in for like 3 to 5 minutes while in the shower and then rinse out – painless, and i have no split end issues

Post # 6
2192 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

You know the answer.  Lay off the heat products for awhile and try to go a bit longer between colorings.  Also maybe try using a heat protecting product if you absolutely can’t go without.  Bedhead has a good one.

Post # 7
3142 posts
Sugar bee

Have you tried Moroccan oil? I hear its amazing for you thicker hair ladies.

Post # 8
197 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

do you use a leave in conditioner? I use herbal essences long term relationship leave in conditioner and noticed a pretty big difference in my ends.

Post # 9
3526 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I would say first less ironing and blow drying!

Come to think of it I use to have a lot of split ends and its stopped last couple years. I wonder if it’s because my hair is kept shorter than I had in the past?

When I did I tend to condition ( use Garnier Fructis! Love the way it smells!) just my ends more often as well.

Post # 11
3601 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: January 1992

How often are you trimming?

Post # 12
9029 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Try and use a heat protectant when you flat iron

Post # 13
544 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Agreed with @bells. If you’re not using a heat protector when you’re styling your hair, you should look into one!

Post # 14
6998 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2011

Try Redken Anti Snap – this stuff worked wonders on my hair when i tried to go from black to blonde (highly suggest not doing that)

Post # 15
6661 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2010

I blow dry my hair every day and my trick is to wait until it’s about 75% dry before putting any heat to it. It’s made a big difference in the health of my hair, I have a lot less split ends and it actually looks better styled.

Also, use a once a week treatment, I have a Kerastase mask I use and actually blow dry my hair straight while it’s still in. I know it sounds crazy, but my hair is way less frizzy and feels like silk for weeks afterwards.

I also use a good conditioner every day in the shower that I leave in while I shave then rinse out after like 5 minutes. That makes my hair easier to detangle and ultimately less damaged.

Post # 16
2829 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

Have you try using a shampoo/conditioner that is sulfate/paraben free? Sulfate will dry out your hair over time. Also shampoos with high silicone (any chemical ending in ‘cone’ ie: dimethicone etc) content will build up on your hair and actually dry it out/damage it over time. Sure, lots of people swear by silicone products but google it, in the long run they do more damage to your hair than they prevent.

Also, trimming. How often do you get your hair trimmed? Because we have really hard water at our place I find that I have more split ends than usual, and often will ‘dust’ (snip) the split hairs periodically rather than getting my hair cut more often (though I try and get it trimmed every 4-6wks).

Drinks lots of water and take a B-vitamin complex (with biotin) to help strengthen the new growth. Since hair is dead tissue, you can only try and prolong the ‘life’ of your ends, but you can actually do other things to make the new growth stronger.

I have also heard from my thick haired-curly headed aunties that olive oil is a great way to deep-condition& maintain volume (of course you have to wash it out).

The topic ‘SPLIT END 911! What are your remedies?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors