Splurge an extra $1500 for special honeymoon cottage?

posted 3 years ago in Honeymoons
  • poll: Worth the splurge?
    Heck yeah! It's your honeymoon and you can afford it! : (22 votes)
    69 %
    I'd get something nice but cheaper, that money could go elsewhere : (5 votes)
    16 %
    No way, I'd pay that much for a room. You'll be on the beach all day anyway : (5 votes)
    16 %
    Other (posting below) : (0 votes)
  • Post # 3
    4468 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

@Tarheelgurl:  if you can afford it, go for it! I would see if the resort offers you any kind of complimentary upgrade first:)

Post # 4
    124 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: October 2014

I have totally seen that room while window shopping/fantasizing about vacations online and YES I would splurge for your honeymoon if you can afford it because I think you’ll regret it if you don’t since your FI was already a bit disappointed last time.

Post # 5
    Hostess
    8680 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2014

I would do the splurge.

We are doing a bit of a road trip honeymoon [sort of, only 4 destinations], and one of them will be a Sybaris.. we wanted a room with an in-room private pool.. it’s going to cost $400 a night but totally worth it!

Post # 7
    901 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

Im also going to San Souci for my honeymoon! What room did you have previously that you didnt like the view? I think the Penthouse suite would be perfect, in terms of a view. I dont know how often you go through trip advisor, but I have yet to see a room that doesnt have a gorgeous and huge balcony with fabulous views. My fiance and I are getting the one bedroom ocean suite, since we want a view, but dont plan on spending much time in the room, and didnt want to spend the extra money on upgrading. I think they also have another room they dont always advertise that has fabulous views and a jacuzzi tub in the bedroom, I reaallllly wanted that one. As far as what I have heard about the hibiscus cottage, apparently its right next to a bunch of peoples houses, and I have heard a couple of complaints of barking dogs, noise, etc. I doubt its that bad though. Also, I believe its one of the furthest rooms away from the amenities, so be prepared for lots and lots of walking.  Its always worth a try, but if I were you, I would spend the extra 1500 on private beach dinners, or private sunset cruises they offer.

Post # 9
    10219 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2012

I VOTED – HECK Yeah !!

If you can afford it… go for it.

Mr TTR & I upgraded ALL our Honeymoon Accommodations.

We booked their Best Room (Ocean Side Balcony) at the Resort where we were married / eloped in The Florida Keys

Were on the Executive Floor at our Airport Hotel… a Deluxe Ocean View in San Juan.

And a Sunset Verandah Cabin for our Caribbean Cruise

It wasn’t crazy money to do all this … but not cheap either.  We could afford it, so we went for it.

No Regrets.

It was an AWESOME Experience in all… making my Honeymoon by far THE BEST Vacation I’ve ever been on… which as someone who travels a lot, I thought important.

You guys have been to this resort before (and we had been to a few of our Accommodations before as well) so you know the set-up

And as you say, your Guy would have preferred a bigger balcony & better view… so why not go for it… no time like your Honeymoon to make it happen !!

Trust me, the memories (and photos) will last a lifetime !!

Hope this helps,

PS… Just saw your UPDATE & Photos… Oh gosh YES !!

Post # 11
    901 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

@Tarheelgurl:  I absolutely cant wait! It will be my first solo trip with my fiance since we started dating. Weve been to several different places, but theres always family with us. Any tips of things to try out, places to go, things to do? 

Post # 12
    3223 posts
    Sugar bee

@Tarheelgurl:  I’d personally spend the money else where.  I don’t tend to spend a lot of time in the room, so $1500 could go a long way.  I’d rather make memories and do extra stuff together, and have a decent but cheaper room.

Also $1500 is one person’s trip at another time. 

Post # 13
    1981 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: November 2014

@Tarheelgurl:  Is there anything in-between with a bigger patio and an ocean view?  They might upgrade you any way.  I was in Jamaica this summer (great choice!) and we were almost never in our room so i don’t think it would be worth it to me. 

Post # 14
    6505 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: June 2013

I’m usually a bit of a penny pincher so when DH suggested a luxury suite instead of a regular suite for our honeymoon I resisted. I knew we wouldn’t be there much anyways and I just thought it was stupid to spend then extra $1300. We ended up getting the suite and I’m so glad we did! It was nice being able to relax in the jacuzzi and having a balcony with a view of the ocean was amazing. It also made it feel a bit more special because I knew we would probably never splurge like that again.

I think if you can comfortable afford it you should go for it!

Post # 15
    306 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

@Tarheelgurl:  If it’s in your budget I say go for it! Your honeymoon is the one vacation in your life where you should splurge a little! DH and I spent our honeymoon also at Couples but on the other side of the island at Swept Away, and I won’t lie, we were feeling quite envious when we saw the porches on the premier beachfront suites and the prime location of the beachfront veranda suites. And we totally would have splurged on one of them, but they were ALL booked during our wedding week (so sad! lol). 

I do understand that for some people their room is just for sleeping, showering, and changing, but we tend to come back to our room after long mornings on the beach and take a nap around 2-3pm, and on this trip we stayed awake for a while at night just talking, relaxing, or watching a little TV (among other things…)  ;). So I can really understand both sides. Totally worth the upgrade IMO. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors