- 4 years ago
- Wedding: October 2015
Hey all, I made a post a while back about how I thought BF might propose on our one year anniversary in September.
After some consideration though, I don’t think he will propose then. He is still planning something secret but I think it’s just gonna be a great anniversary, not an engagement. And I am okay with that.
Here’s the background. My car broke down a month ago and now I am having to save up a $2,000 down payment, which will take me about two months hopefully. So by late September or early October, I should be ready to buy a car.
Well, BF’s car is still running but it is old and has lots of issues. He is getting so sick of constantly fixing it up and I don’t blame him. We went car shopping last weekend for me because I foolishly thought I could get a nice car with no money down. Since then, I’ve decided to back off car shopping and just save up for a good down payment.
Anyway, all the car shopping made him realize that he needs/wants to buy a new car for himself. So naturally, I encouraged him to do that.
But we both realized that if we BOTH get new cars, we MIGHT have to postpone moving in together in January.
If I get a new car, I can still afford to move in with him. But if he stays at his current job and gets a new car, he can’t afford to move in with me. So now he is looking for a better paying job where he will be able to afford moving in with me no matter what. Right now, he lives with his parents’ and doesn’t have any bills except for his phone and car insurance so he can easily afford a car payment. But once we move in together, he might not be able to afford it at his current job.
We both don’t make a lot of money so we are both in the process of looking for better paying jobs. But he is the bigger priority because even with my current job, I can still afford an apartment with him but only if he can pay half of the expenses.
I make about double the money he makes but I still want to look for a higher paying job so that if he doesn’t manage to find a better job, I can still support us both in case he can’t pay his half of the expenses.
With all this going on and the fact that he once said that he wants to be financially stable before he gets married, I just don’t see how he is going to propose in September. (Btw, when he does propose, he plans on using his grandmother’s ring so the cost of the ring is not an issue).
I’m kind of disappointed but I’m actually not TOO upset about it. Of course I would love to marry him ASAP but so far, I am content to wait. I’m just going to enjoy our relationship the way it is now.
And even if we can’t move in together in January, we will be okay. Our relationship is great the way it is now even though we don’t live together yet.
Only time will tell though, as to if he proposes in September and if we can afford to move in together in January. Hopefully he will have a better paying job by then! Crossing my fingers! 🙂