Stick to budget or spend $500 — which do you regret?

posted 3 years ago in Dress
  • poll: Stick to your budget, or pay $500 more for the dress of your dreams?
    Stick to your budget -- that's why you have one! : (45 votes)
    45 %
    Spend the $500 -- otherwise you'll regret it! : (44 votes)
    44 %
    I stuck to my budget and had dress regret. : (6 votes)
    6 %
    I spent the $500 and regretted it. : (4 votes)
    4 %
  • Post # 3
    310 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2014

@aekc:  i stuck to the budget. sometimes i see other dresses that i like but then i remember it is just a dress. There is way more to the day than just the dress and even though mine isn’t silk,  or designer it still looks great and the alterations are minimal. Thats my take.

Post # 4
    917 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: February 2014

I clocked in at $500 UNDER budget. I got really lucky and found my dress at David’s Bridal. I totally didn’t see that coming and had been insistent on fancy salons with 1k+ dresses before then. 

I say stick to budget and keep an open mind. It’s a single-use item, and if funds aren’t unlimited I would be cautious.

Post # 5
    8518 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: April 2014

My budget was $500 and my dress ended up being $950 after it was all said and done. And I dont regret it. I love my dress!

Post # 6
    8498 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2013

If the difference was only $500…I’d spend it.  If it was multiple thousands..I’d draw the line there.  But that’s just my opinion.  Really depends on just how tight your budget is.

Post # 7
    3637 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2015

Consider how your budget is going in other areas of the wedding. If you see yourself sticking to it or being under, then go for the dress you love! But if you think this might happen again in other areas, or it already has, then you’ll most likely regrett it. 

Post # 8
    365 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

Originally, my budget was about 2-3 hundred, as I was just going to try dresses at the bridal shops and then look for 2nd hand, but I found my dress on sale (veil included) for 530 and couldn’t pass it up. And it ended up fitting me like a glove so the only alterations I will need is a bustle. I don’t regret it for A second. Anytime, I show it to somebody, they LOVE it, and I can’t wait for FH to see it!!

Post # 9
    3280 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

I did not have a budget but knew I didn’t want to spend a bunch of money on a dress I’d wear once. I always dreamed about my wedding dress but when it comes down to it, its just a dress and I would never go overbudget for it. 

Post # 10
    1773 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

I voted to send the extra $500, YOU WILL REGRET IT IF YOU DON’T! And dress regrets sucks! I stuck to my budget, started to HATE my dress, and ended up buying my dream dress later. Such an expensive mistake! Pay the extra $500 if it doesnt break the bank; this is your dream day, you do not want to wonder “what if” forever, even after your wedding 

Post # 11
    2070 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: November 2012 - Oak Tree Manor

Stick to your budget. Now that our wedding is over and we’re facing all the costs of buying a new house I really wish I had bought a $200 dress. I’m realizing there are so so so many gorgeous dresses out there that are affordable, or once-loved.

Post # 12
    141 posts
    Blushing bee

Stick to your budget! There are MANY beautiful dresses out there to fit any budget. I have seen gorgeous gowns at DB for 299-399. Yes, we all dream of the dress and we want to look our best but this is one day! We are basically paying for an overpriced garment. After the wedding bills only multiply so keep focused. Now, if your budget is not a concern, then there isn’t anything wrong with it. But if you have a budget for a reason, stick to it. You don’t want to be cutting things later on at the wedding or unable to pay rent because you spent too much on a dress. 

It’s important to remember that the price tag of the dress is not how much you are going to pay. You still have all the accessories which are extremely expensive and alterations! If that dress tag says 1,000 it may very well turn into 2,000 after you buy the veil, sash, shoes and alter the dress. 

Post # 13
    398 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

I went over my budget, and while I don’t regret spending it on my dress, it is stressful to find the money from somewhere else. Make sure you KNOW where the $500 is coming from. Are you going to forego lattes until the wedding? Are you going to save on alcohol? Figure it out now so there’s no regret.

Post # 14
    463 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

@kes18:  I agree with this.  I feel like $500 can be made up somewhere else (or multiple places) pretty easily.  I went over by about that much, and I made up for it by prepaying the DJ.  Done.

Post # 15
    3557 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2014

My mom, who purchased my dress, capped the budget at $1000. Then she turned around and started falling in love with $1600 designer dresses and flirted with the idea of raising the budget to $2000. Then I found my dress at the fancy designer salon and it was $800. I got the dress I really wanted and it was in the original budget. My mom was thrilled, and I don’t feel guilty 🙂

Post # 16
    1779 posts
    Buzzing bee

My dress budget was $650 and I spent $977 without accessories, alterations included, though. I felt pretty guilty as we are on a tight budget but as long as you feel confident you can realocate funds from elsewhere then it’s OK. DH was the one who actually convinced me it was fine and he is very frugal.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors