Street Size 10/12 – Will I be able to try on gowns in store?

posted 3 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
4941 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@MsMonkey:  I wear a street 10/12 and trying on gowns was a breeze! Actually, our size converted into dresses is what almost all of the samples are! Which works out perfect and I wound up purchasing a sample gown for 60% off with no alterations. So yeah, you may want to ask about that if you find “the one” too. 😉

Size 10/12 is actually smaller than the American average. There is NOTHING wrong with it and you should rock your curves! 🙂 Have a great time dress shopping!

Post # 4
1754 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I am a size 16. I was able to try on dresses. They only really carry size 2 and size 18 – not the best for your body images, but it’s just the way it is. But they want to sell to everyone so they wiill make a fitting happen for you.

Post # 5
895 posts
Busy bee

I’m a 14/16 and didn’t have any problems. There are even dresses that will be too big! I was so worried when I went shopping too. Don’t sweat it! 

Post # 6
2059 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

@MsMonkey:  I was so worried about this! I am also a 10/12, and the sample sizes are soooooo itty bitty. I actually went dress shopping a week ago for the first time, and was able to wriggle and shimmy in to sample size 10s & 12s BUT there was NO way in hell the back was getting zipped, so the consultants should be well versed in stuffing a panel down the back of the dress to hold it shut and give you the look of how everything should look when the gown is your size. consultant worked MAGIC with those panels. I was so anxious that I’d be ripping gowns or get myself into a hot/sweaty/miserable funk in the middle of the dressing room. You’ll do fine! Relax-this is that they do. Have FUN! 🙂

ETA-The dress I ended up choosing looked awesome even though I haven’t done anything to tighten up yet, and I mumbled something about needing to drop a few before the wedding and the consultant firmly said “Honey, you NEED curves to rock this dress. Don’t you lose too much!”…They are supposed to make you feel good! Don’t be hard on yourself when a 10 is tight…the designer dresses I tried on, a 10=6, a 12=8, 14=10 and so on…they’re not normal sizes!

Post # 8
1604 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

Oh, hun. First of all, i’m sorry that woman said that to you. She’s obviously closed-minded and doesn’t care about other people’s feelings.

i am a street size 12, and dress shopping for me was pretty good overall. The sizes were either 2s or3s or 14 or 16, so they were either too big or too small. BUT the consultants have tricks – panels, clips, etc. To help you visualize. 

And when i found my dress, i just knew it was mine – even though it was a size 6 lol 

Post # 10
99 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

I, too, was so nervous about this. I’m a 14 & just bought my gown on Friday. I also have a ton of body issues so for each appointment I spray tanned, put extra attention on my hair/makeup & wore really good shape wear so I could better visualize what the gowns would look like on my wedding day. 

Post # 11
108 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

@MsMonkey I am also a street size 10/12, and I had absolutely no problems finding dresses in store to try on. I even purchased a sample that I didn’t have to alter because it fit so well! Good luck and I’m sure it will be a breeze!

Post # 12
820 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I’m a size 12 and most samples fit me, but were a tad too tight. I thought for sure I wouldn’t be able to fit into any, but that wasn’t the case at all! All most all the samples I tried on were a size 10 so I ordered one size up. You should be fine. You could call the bridal store you want to go to and ask them what’s the range of sizes they have before you go there. Good Luck!

Post # 13
2063 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

I felt the exact same way as you… I was DREADING dress shopping (i’m also around a 12). my first experience was HORRIBLE. a woman actually told me she had no dresses for me and to come back when i had lost weight – pretty much my worst nightmare.

but i learned VERY quickly that she was the exception, not the rule. every other place i went, the consultants went out of their way to make me feel pretty and find things that were flattering. mostly things i could get on my body, they just might’ve been open in the back… but i was okay with that. there were a few dresses that i desperately wanted to try on but just couldn’t get on. that was a little bit disheartening. but i just told myself, that wasn’t my dress.

i didn’t have the best dress shopping experience, because like you i just didn’t feel good about myself in ANYTHING, let alone a beautiful gown. but try to learn from me and don’t let it ruin the whole experience for you! this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. i wish more than anything i pushed aside my negative thoughts and feelings and let myself enjoy it!!!

Post # 14
3557 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I’m a street size 12. If you want to see a good portion of the dresses I tried on you can find them here and here. As you can see some of them were too small, others too big, and many of them actually my size. I don’t think you will have any problems finding dresses to try on.

Post # 15
6525 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

@MsMonkey:  yes, most definitely, don’t be discouraged

Post # 16
2100 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I’m a 12/14… No issues here! I went to an upscale, privately owned boutique too. Not a big box store. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors