Post # 1
We’re set to close on a house tomorrow. It’s been a struggle every step of the way. It’s an estate sale, with the deceased person’s grandson living in the house with his wife (the house is the property of a brother and sister – the occupant is the son of the sister).
We needed an updated purchase agrement from their agent. What should have taken less than 2 days ended up taking this jerk 3 weeks to send back. We were set to close 7/31, and that’s what both purchase agreements said.
We’re set to close tomorrow. I just found out that the grandson is STILL occupying the house. I’m in complete and utter disbelief. He knew that we were supposed to close July 31st, and that we could close any day after that. WTF? They have already closed on their new house, which isn’t that far, so there’s no reason it should have taken them this long to get out.
I’ve told my husband I’m not comfortable closing on a house I a.) can’t change the locks on until after they get out…after we close and b.) can’t even see until they get out, after which point we’ve already closed, and who knows what they could do to the place? I see a long, lengthy tenant-style struggle playing out in which we eventually have to evict them if they aren’t out by close.
My husband’s uncomfortable with it but apparently okay with playing along, getting payment from them as our ‘occupants.’. I want to say that they have THIS WEEKEND to get out and we close on Monday, or we’re done with the deal. I’m sick and tired of being strung along for more than 2 months. It never should have taken this long, and apparently they closed by July 31st (possibly several weeks before – not sure yet).
Has anyone else ever been in a situation like this? I suspect I’m not going to be able to change his mind, and I’m livid about it. We have to be out of our apartment by September 15th. We’ve already extended our lease once for their taking-his-good-old-time-agent, and I doubt they’ll let us exten dagain (as they had already re-rented the apartment previously, and they had to move things around for us). Because of their relaxed style, our rate lock also expired and went up about 1%.
It’s been a struggle the whole way through in getting a house, and I just can’t believe even the sellers are idiots who don’t know when to get out.
Post # 3
- Wedding: October 2011 - Bed & Breakfast
Hugs. That sounds so frustrating. I wish I had good words of advice, but I don’t. I can only say that we did walk away from a deal because of an uncooperative seller. We decided that the house was simply not worth our sanity.
Post # 4
Thank you. I’m still just shaking my head in disbelief.
I’m not keen on getting back out and looking again – but at some point I don’t want stress-after-stress piling up. They have an incompetent agent, and apparently they’re too stupid to know the terms of the agreement themselves. Until this point, (for the sellers, at least), it had always been, “We want to close ASAP!” We were told by their agent just the other day that they were ready to close…then it’s, “But wait, our guys aren’t out yet!” Idiots.
I’m just shaking my head. We’ve been looking for almost a year and this was our SEVENTH bid (overbidding by at least 10% on all the others). We’re just worn out at this point. Had this happened earlier on, I suspect my husband would’ve been rolling with a, “No way in Hell!” But he’s tired and he wants to get it done with. I see a potential legal problem that could take us months before they’re out, which outweighs the expiring interest rate lock (it expires after tomorrow – if we close tomorrow, we’re still good) and ‘getting it done.’ We get one thing done just to end up with tenants.
Their agent’s under no obligation to tell the truth. I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s, “They haven’t ACTUALLY closed, but I’ll tell their agent that they have. That buys them time.” Who knows what’s going on anymore. I drove by the house a few times over the last several weeks and noticed that a lot of their outdoor furniture was gone, so I assumed they were OUT. Apparently I’m the nutty one here.
I believe our agent is trying to negotiate with theirs – I would be much happier giving them THIS weekend to GTFO, with us closing Monday. I just see no reason why we should give them anymore time to figure out their crap. It’s not like we’re closing early here…this should never have been a surprise.
I’m worried that even if we work out the logistics in our closing…I know it can still take months to evict someone. Just because they have 30 days to get out after we close doesn’t mean it won’t be 90 or longer, and we’re left in the meantime scrambling for someplace else to live. My husband’s looking on the ‘bright side.’ I’m looking on the “We’ve been screwed over multiple other times by these sellers and others, so let’s be realistic” side.
It does feel good to talk about it. It’s near jumping the shark at this point.