- 3 years ago
I’ve seen an article about things to when you’re waiting, and it listed that you should be receptive to what your SO wants to do when you expect an engagement, because you never know what might be part of his plan. Well, I don’t think the article intends for this to apply to expensive scenarios, but that’s where my problem lies.
My SO has lately taken to trying to convince me to go on a 2-to-3-week vacation to Europe with him this summer… which I’d be all for (we’re both very much into travelling) except I’m already spending money on a trip we’re taking to Peurto Rico over spring break. Some of his family is going, so he has made it clear that he’ll go whether I do or not, but that he really wants me to come, too. Really wants me to come. When I say I’m reluctant because–although I can afford it–I’m wanting to save money, he starts assuring me that he knows we have big expenses coming up (wink wink) and that he has the money under control… even going so far as to say he can be my private investor and I can pay him back later. The next day he gave me another argument: soon we are going to be getting married and start working on having a family, so who knows if it will ever be this easy to do this kind of travelling again? A good point.
I kind of wonder why he’s so eager to make sure I go, too, that he would buy my plane tickets for me. He talks about it with me every day. It makes me wonder if that is when/where we wants to propose…. especially since travel is a big thing for both of us. It’d be a very fitting way to propose, but of course I can’t drop that kind of money solely because there is a chance it might happen then. And yet… it’d probably be my dream proposal to have it happen abroad.
Proposals aside, I’d be really tempted to go anyway. I’ve been dying to go back since we did a 3-week backpacking trip 3 years ago, so I can honestly say it’s not just the proposal possibility that is tempting me. I can afford it, but I don’t know if I should.