(Closed) Talking to parents about money – advice & experience?

posted 7 years ago in Money
Post # 3
363 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I spoke to my parents and my FI spoke to his. I would recommend having a good idea of the budget and what you expect things to be so they know what they’re committing to. We just asked each set of parents to contribute what they could so we could chose how to use it…we won’t be spending a lot of the rehearsal dinner so we would rather have that to put towards something larger for us. If you think they will bring it up maybe just let them know the total budget, what your family is doing and whatever they are comfortable with would be great…?? He is lucky he won’t be there!!

Post # 4
5755 posts
Bee Keeper

I would think if they were giving you anything toward the wedding, they would have offered it by now. If they bring it up, great. If not, I wouldn’t ask them anything at all.

Post # 5
274 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I agree that having a figure handy would be great.  They might be happy to pay for a rehearsal dinner that costs $2000 but not $5000. 

Good luck!!

Post # 7
5273 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2009

My advice was going to be don’t bring it up unless they do (but since you said you are already doing that) my only other advice would be to let your FI take the lead when/if they ask. Money is a touchy subject and it will be easier if he takes the lead on this one.

The topic ‘Talking to parents about money – advice & experience?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors