(Closed) Tell me about your $5000-$6000 wedding

posted 6 years ago in Money
Post # 3
1523 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

Venue = free because FI’s mom belongs to the country club

Photographer – free because my mom is a professional photographer and she refuses to let anyone else do it!

Got a $2300 Enzoani dress for $400 on preownedweddingdresses.com

The caterer is FI’s cousin who owns a catering business

We are supplying our own wine and beer

DJ and cake will be full cost

I’m DIYing the centerpieces and decorations and invites

No flowers-I am having a brooch bouquet and the girls are carrying something similar

Wedding for 200 is going to come in around 6k!

Post # 4
171 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I’m right there with you. Why spend so much money on ONE day. I could do so many better things with that money- like heli skiing, or traveling, a downpayment on a house, etc. We are shooting in the 8000 range. And so far we’ve been doing great with that range! I got my dress for $75 NWT (Jasmine)- Shoes were $99 (Rue-La-La special- Badgley Mischka) Catering for 90 guests =$4000 Venue= Free (using my brothers barn). Booze will probably be around $600- rentals (tables, tent, linens, etc) $1200. Photography (a friend is doing). All the decorations are hand made and pretty cheap thanks to Micheal’s and ACMoore coupons.

We rock. Seriously. It’s about us saying our vows and commiting ourselves to a life together and love together, not the expensive crap that will be thrown away or tucked in the back of a closest for the rest of your life 🙂

Post # 5
2104 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

It’s definitely doable!  We had a parish hall reception, with lunch catered by our favorite local Italian restaurant.  Only alcohol was a sparkling wine toast–which I really don’t think was a big deal with a morning wedding/lunch reception.  We saved a ton of money with “friendors”…my old boss did my makeup as a gift and ordered my shoes wholesale for me (she’s in the pageant industry), my usual hairdresser did my hair as a gift, good friend did our cakes for much lower than she normally charges…even our photographer was an old co-worker of mine and was very flexible with our package.  We did a ton of DIY, too, from our centerpieces to invitations to flowers.

Post # 6
390 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I’m right there with you.  We’re keeping our budget between 7-8k and so far coming a little under budget. 

Venue = $300 the church we both go to

Reception = our biggest expense at 3-4k for 200 people

Photographer = 1k

Flowers = $300

I bought my dress off the rack for $400, DJ and cake person are friend of ours so we are getting good prices on those.  I think really, with a budget like that it’s tight but it can be done and get everything you want.

Post # 7
6015 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: March 2012

I agree, spending more on one day would make me really nervous. 

I put a depost of $300.00 on my dress and a girl at work had just gotten married in the SAME DRESS, so she gave me hers!!! I gave my three bridesmaids the Store Credit so they all got their dresses for free.  My Future Mother-In-Law gave me a GC two years ago to a store I love but was not local to me at the time, till I moved, so I got my shoes there, and my rehersal outfit so they were essentially free.  Doing my own hair, Future Mother-In-Law is paying for my make up (SHE is so awesome so lucky to have her) 

Flowers and cupcakes from Sam’s club.

Our reception &ceremony is at the same place and for $2k for 100 people, isn’t that bad.  We have to supply the alcohol, which Fiance gets a discount on anyway! Our DJ is $300.00.  The rehersal dinner is at our house.  I’m hoping we come in around $5k for this.

Post # 8
424 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Totally know what you guys mean. I can’t fathom spending more than $6-7000 on one day. 

For me I have saved in the following ways:

-Won a free photography package through a contest on Facebook… most stressful couple of days of my life! The package is worth $4000. 

– Bought a sample for my dress that fit perfectly for $400 = no alterations

– Making all our own wine and buying some kegs from a local brewery… there might be one hard alcohol signature drink. For open bar this will cost us less than $600 for 80 people. 

– Venue is in an organic community garden where both the ceremony and reception will take place. It was a bit expensive at $1500. 

– Found a woman who grows her own flowers from her yard and makes bouquets. She does amazing work. I am getting a bridal bouquet, 4 bridesmaids bouquets, 8 bouts, 4 corsages, 24 mason jars filled with flowers and a couple other vases for here and there for $400. This is basically unheard of in the city we’re getting married in.

-Providing all our own food and prepping most of it the day/week before. We are hiring a family friend as a chef for $20/hr for the day of. 

-We’re not going to have a dj, we will probably just have a laptop set up to the sound system my relatives are letting us use.

-Buying all my decor at secondhand stores. Yesterday I bought the most amazing trunk and some vintage license plates from Europe and Asia all for $6.

-Buying the top tier of my cake for us to cut, but then making all the cupcakes myself. 

Post # 9
184 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012 - Woodwinds

Our ceremony/ reception is coming in at $5400.  We booked in 2010 for a 2012 wedding.  This saved us money as did booking it on a Sunday. 

Nothing extra but what is offered ( 8 hand passed hot apps, cold apps, salad and sit down dinner, open bar)- cake included. 

Photographer – $1200- Booked early her prices now are $3300

DJ $900

JOP $200

Dress-  I got my dicontinued style at Davids for $150- orginally $599

Shoes $29.50 ballet flats. 

No flower centerpieces. Chinese lanterns  $3.50 from AsianIdeas.com – I have some $1 store ones in case I need them

Won the rose petals to sprinkle around the center pieces. 

We will have flowers for my bouquet and my MOHS  as well as the men’s pin on roses.   

Also I did my own invitations 1 ink $23.00 used a coupon at michaels.. box of invites $15.00

Post # 10
352 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

First I need to let you know that I live IN Boston, not in a suburb, but in Boston itself.  I had to have my wedding in the town I grew up in because Boston is too damn expensive.

My venue is free because my mother is the President of the Board of Directors. Should have been $2600

My Photographer did his senior graduate project at the venue and knows my mom. As a favor he is $1100, should have been $2500

My caterer is a elementary school friend.  He was also supposed to cater a wedding I was to have 14 years ago and honored the deposit my parents put down then.  I am doing open bar; beer, wine, soft drinks and water and I am doing all hot passed apps.  The wedding is at 2pm, after lunch, before dinner. (My parents are doing a buffet dinner at home for the out of town guests after) so my caterer is $3000

My cake is $320 – $60 is for delivery!

My flowers which include center pieces and some other arrangemets are $800.  I am also buying potted tulips for the entry way and other places in the location $100

We are out own DJ.  The LEAST I found for a DJ was $1000.  We don’t have the space or the money for a DJ so we are using a BOSE Sound Dock, a mixer and a microphone.  I literally JUST finished the play list.  That part was easy.  I did the ceremony music (2 songs – the entry and exit, LOL) the music while we are having pictures, the intro song, the first dance and the father daughter dance and then the main play list.  GOD LOVE SHUFFLE and then the last song.  Not that difficult.  Pick songs you like and add them to the list, LOL Total Cost $500 which includes buying some songs from iTunes.  

The Limo is JUST from the wedding location to the hotel after the wedding that is $400

Favors $175, thank god for Amazon,com

Decorations from Oriental Trading $50

So, JUST the wedding itself, not the dress – tux -rings- invitation, toasting flutes etc its $6054

If we added all that we are at $7411 not inclyding rings.

Its not under 6k, but for a wedding in MA you can’t do much better than that!

The topic ‘Tell me about your $5000-$6000 wedding’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors