Tell me about your destination wedding of 50 people that cost less than $20,000!

posted 3 years ago in Destination Weddings
Post # 3
5285 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

@Brittanyg20:  I got married in Cuba in May of this year we had 67 guests join us. We spent a total of about $10,000 on the whole thing including the ceremony, reception and attire (ours and the bridal party of 12) Because it was at a resort it was of course alot cheaper then what you would be paying to have it at a private venue. We didnt have a beach wedding but had our ceremony in the centre square of the resort and then took pictures on the beach after. We paid to have a dinner in a private rstaurant and it was in the resort next to ours so a bus picked us up and brought us there (2 min bus ride) and then picked us up later. We were able to have the place until 2am and they provided DJ’s and a mic for speeches. My husbands friend was our DJ instead because we wanted to play our own music and he brought some of his equipment. We had a blast and the food they served was amazing for Cuba! (surf and turf lobster and steak but I had chicken lol) Here are a few pictures below from our wedding:

Post # 5
127 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

@Brittanyg20:  We’re getting married in Key West, Fl.  We have about 65 guests and we’re spending roughly $22K, but that includes everything and as a point of refernce, we’re getting married at a resort and we’re serving chicken/steak with open bar.

Post # 6
1175 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@Brittanyg20:  Have you tried looking at museums in Jamaica?  Sometimes going to a less traveled spot will yeild less expense.  Or maybe even high end vacation rentals?

I am having a small DW next year.  Right now our budget is about 12k to 15k for everything.  We have only invited 10 guests.  Our costs are a little high because we are paying for all of the accomodations.  I looked into private residences and that is what I settled on for our wedding ceremony, and dinner to follow.  My total cost for the venue was $3700, for 3 nights stay.  Nothing is included in the price of the venue, so all of the flowers, food, music, and clergy is seperate.

Don’t be too discouraged.  You will find something you like.  Just look in the places a little less traveled.

Post # 7
5285 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

@Brittanyg20:  Thanks! Yeah the price was really good and I was super happy with how it all turned out. We always wanted to have a destination wedding there because we love Cuba so muchand go every year but I know there are many people who dont like it. We would never have been able to afford a wedding at home because we live in the Toronto area and weddings around here are crazy expensive!!!

Post # 8
3394 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

That’s a pretty crazy quote. Have you asked whether you can rent the site alone, and bring in outside vendors? You may have to pay a vendor fee but it’s probably still cheaper than using their package. It’s a gorgeous venue, by the way.

We’re doing a non-beach destination wedding in Bali at the Amanusa, for 50 pax:

It’s probably one of the most expensive wedding venues in Bali, and even then the base package is we pay for two nights accomodation ($1900) and the wedding ceremony cost of $1500 (which includes set-up, flowers etc). And then for a 3-course Italian menu it’s $4750, canapes $1250. We’re not quite sure what we’re doing for beverage package yet but they’re offering $100 per head for the first three hours, including everything except spirits. On top of that, we’re bringing in our own photographer, florist, sound/lighting, videographer, makeup artist, wedding planner etc etc.

Having said all of that – you can do a Bali wedding for much less than that. Villa weddings are really popular and can be really good value too. We found some absolutely gorgeous villas for anywhere between $900 to $4500 per night, and you can have your wedding plus get accomodation there too.

Post # 9
975 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2014 - Banff, Alberta

@Brittanyg20:  That seems a bit insane… Gorgeous venue though! FH went to Jamaica and hated it. He was threatened with a knife in the middle of the markets. 

Post # 11
975 posts
Busy bee

@Brittanyg20:  Are you paying for your guests accomodation and flights?! Why $2000 a person? 

Post # 13
975 posts
Busy bee

@Brittanyg20:  Oooh I see, so keeping it under $2000 for guests to pay out of pocket. Gotcha. 

Post # 14
355 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

@Brittanyg20: If you like the RIU resorts, there’s a stunning one in Costa Rica. I stayed there 3 or 4 years ago, and it was so so gorgeous. If you aren’t set on Jamaica, check them out.

Post # 15
511 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Edit: Oops, just read no beaches! My idea is out.

Post # 16
445 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Maybe try http://www.weddingsinvieques.com

She’s the wedding planner from the TLC show Wedding Island. From some of the episodes I’ve seen it seems like she will work with the budget she given to give you exactly what you want. And a lot of the weddings on the show were not on the beach so I’m sure she could help finding a venue you’d like

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors