(Closed) Thank You Note Wording – Someone I don’t know, not attending & sent check

posted 9 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 3
56 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

"We’re sorry that you won’t be able to join us on our special day, but we’ll be thinking of you. We are very lucky in our family and friends."

…or something like that. 

Post # 4
6010 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

A line I added to a lot of thank you cards was something like, "We’re so lucky to have such generous and thoughtful friends/family like you.  Thank you so much for thinking of us at this momentous time in our lives."

Post # 5
2641 posts
Sugar bee

Good ideas.  I think definitely say how you’ll miss not having them there.  And that you’ll be thinking of them, or being grateful that they’re thinking of you.  That should cover it.

Post # 6
1266 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

I had the exact same perdicament – didn’t know them, couldnt attend (said they were going to Italy) and gave us a cheque

I wrote something along the lones of…

"I am so sorry you couldn’t share our special day with Colin and I. We want to thank you so much for your generous gift, it will help us fix up our kitchen. enjoy the sunshine in Italy, and had a glass of wine for us!

Post # 7
1379 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2010

You could also say "I hope to see you at a future family event."

That’s a tough one though!  Does your fiance know them? Perhaps he could write the note from the two of you? Good luck. 

Post # 8
2344 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I think some acknowledgement of their inability to attend and that you hope to get to know them in the future would be a nice touch. Here’s everyone’s input thus far edited in with mine 🙂

"Third Cousin, Twice Removed,

Mr. Lipgloss and I are sorry to hear you won’t be able to join us on our wedding day. We hope we’ll be able to spend time with you at another family event in the future! And thank you so much for the generous gift.  We’re planning to buy a house, and we’re so grateful that your gift will help us toward that goal. We’re very lucky to have such great family members!

Best wishes,

Mr. and Mrs. Lipgloss"

Post # 9
883 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2009

Soemthing to the effect of "you’ll be missed… sorry you can’t make it" etc, and something along the lines of "your generosity is greatly appreciated… your generous gift will go a long way towards us putting together our new home… your gift will be a great help as we redo our kitchen" etc. 

Post # 10
4480 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: March 2010 - Calamigos Ranch

These are all good suggestions. Definitely acknowledge that they won’t be there but will be missed (even if they won’t, since you don’t know them!) and how much you appreciate the gift, and you are unlikley to go wrong. 🙂

The topic ‘Thank You Note Wording – Someone I don’t know, not attending & sent check’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors