Thanksgiving traditions 2013

posted 3 years ago in Holidays
  • poll: What do you do for Thanksgiving?
    Cook the traditional Thanksgiving meal : (55 votes)
    29 %
    Head to family events : (49 votes)
    26 %
    Go to a football game : (0 votes)
    Watch football on TV : (35 votes)
    19 %
    Put up the Christmas tree : (12 votes)
    6 %
    Go shopping : (10 votes)
    5 %
    Take long walks after dinner : (13 votes)
    7 %
    Go hiking/camping/outdoorsy stuff : (3 votes)
    2 %
    Other : (11 votes)
    6 %
  • Post # 3
    2657 posts
    Sugar bee

FI and I will be going to my parents’ house (they are local) for Thanksgiving dinner and watching football.  But, we always do our own separate dinner the day after just for ourselves because we like turkey and leftovers.  It’s also a super cheap way for us to eat for the month if the turkeys are on sale.  Our grocery store has a deal every year where turkeys are $0.47/lb with your rewards card, but they only allow 1 per card.  Well, FI and I have separate rewards cards and just buy 1 each.  We thaw 1 immediately and leave the other in the freezer for a few weeks later.  By the time the turkeys are gone, it will be time for Christmas ham sales.  Yeah…we really like to stock up on good and cheap food 🙂

Post # 4
    1840 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

@MrsLongcoatPeacoat:  hi fellow DC area resident. 🙂 I really love the ballet and was trying to convince my fiance to go see the Nutcracker, but he looked at me like I have two heads. 🙁 I do have tickets to see Swan Lake with my mom and sister in January, so will get my ballet fix then.

My (Eastern European) family doesn’t really do Thanksgiving, so we spend it with my fiance’s family in Maryland. They cook a traditional meal and start eating very early, and continue to eat throughout the day while watching football. I enjoy the eating part but not so much the football part, so usually bring a good book to read and curl up by the fireplace. I would love to start doing our own Thanksgiving, but we currently live in a tiny one bedroom condo in DC, so it’s not really possible unless we move.

Post # 5
    613 posts
    Busy bee

My FILs house! lots of cooking and wine. Then football. THEN we play 31 all night! O and more wine!

Post # 6
    903 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2015

I actually celebrate “Thanksmas” each year.  After our relationship became serious, FI and I decided that we’d handle holidays by trading between the families each year.  This year we’re doing Thanksgiving with his family and Christmas with my family.  Next year we’ll do the opposite.  Both families decided to tack on the Christmas gift exchange to Thanksgiving, so we get a twofer!

With his family, Thanksmas involves a pretty chill affair on Thanksgiving Day because most of his relatives are off with the families of their significant others.  Once they all get back, we do a big shindig on Saturday with a feast and the gift exchange.  They’re Vietnamese and aren’t particularly attached to the traditional turkey dinner, so we do a different theme each year (this year is Mediterranean).  FI has 3 little cousins, and everybody buys them individual gifts, but the adults play White Elephant with ~$20 gifts.

With my parents, we do the traditional turkey dinner on Thanksgiving Day followed by the gift exchange.  They recently moved to be near my extended family, though, and I’m not sure how things will work in the future.  I imagine we’ll do Thanksgiving dinner with the whole clan and then do the gift exchange later when it’s just the four of us at their house.

I doubt our plans will change after we get married, but having kids will definitely add a dimension of complicatedness.  No clue what we’ll do then.

Post # 8
    3948 posts
    Honey bee

Traditional thanksgiving at our house with just a few family members, and then traveling over the weekend to visit more family. This time of year we spend a LOT of time traveling to see others.

Post # 9
    2051 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2012 - Franklin Plaza

After we got married we started hosting both of our families for Thanksgiving. DH and I cook the big meal together and then we watch football and drink wine with our parents/siblings all day. I can’t wait for next week to get here!

Post # 10
    4513 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

I’m going to my stepsister’s house. She has never hosted or cooked Thanksgiving dinner or even made a turkey. Oh… and she is having 25 people over :-X I’ll be honest – she is super sweet, but she really isn’t a good cook so we’re all a little anxious to see what happens haha. She is also convinced that one 20 pound turkey will be enough for everyone.

We all offered to bring side dishes, but she wants to do it all on her own. Yikes!!

After Thanksgiving dinner my family has always gone to the movies, so that is what my DH and I do now (sometimes my parents come, too). This year though the Ravens (our local football team) are playing at 8pm, plus the game is against our rivals so we might skip the theatre this year.

Post # 11
    2372 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2013 - B&B

We will be with my mom/stepdad on thanksgiving day this year. We have also decided that until kids change the game (maybe they will change it?) we will do every other holiday every other year with every other family… a.k.a., my mom gets Thanksgiving DAY and much of the Friday after with us, and then we will travel the 2.5 hours to his family over the weekend and celebrate with them.

(Then for Christmas, his family gets us ON Christmas day, and probably Christmas Eve and the day after, and then mine on the weekend.)

We eat a big meal, and then watch some football.  I have to admit… there IS shopping.  I hate hate hate that it starts on thanksgiving day. The outlets near where I live open at 10pm.  I go with my girlfriends every year, so we get to spend time together, and my family activities are done for the day.  I do know that the employees have to get there probably at.. (retail bees correct me if I am wrong) 6/7? So I am sorry. Its one of our “girls” traditions though. I wish they waited until midnight… we would still go!!!

After the weekend Thanksgiving festivites with his family, we will go pick out our tree! It’s gotta be a little guy, since we’re in a small apartment, but I am still excited! His family gets a tree thats too tall for their house, then they lop off the top and bottom until it fits. They stick it in a corner so they try to get the biggest tree they can for the girth… it ends up looking like a big ole Christmas EGG hahaha.

Post # 12
    1893 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2014 - Dallas, TX

My family plays Bunco every year after dinner. So much fun! We have a huge family and it’s just a blast.

Post # 13
    11772 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: May 2013

We go to DH’s family’s.

And we all freeze (they don’t heat their house in Upstate NY! In winter!)

Post # 14
    9137 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

We usually go visit family to eat a traditional Thanksgiving meal and watch a football game.  But since we just got married and we are still pretty exhausted, we decided not to travel at all this year.  We’re going to go to Universal Studios for the day to ride roller coasters and drink butterbeer instead.

Post # 15
    3506 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

For the last three years our tradition has been to cook the FULL Thanksgiving meal at our hour, for just the two of us! Our first three years together were spent going to three different houses for Thanksgiving, it was too much running around and waaaay too much food! So we told everyone “We love you and will miss you, but we want to just sit in our pj’s, watch football and leasurely cook and eat when we want to…” 

But this year we decided to invite some family over. My husbands mom passed away this summer, so it made us realize yeah it may be a hassle and hard work, but we should spend holidays with our family. So we decided we’ll cook dinner at our house, and whoever wants to come is welcome! So we’re having my parents, my sister & her boyfriend and my husband’s dad over this year (aunts/uncles/cousins are all going to other houses, no big deal). It’s only 7 people.. but it’s still intimidating thinking of cooking for everyone, but I’m excited! I have a feeling this will become our new tradition, especially since we are planning to start a family soon, I would never want to keep our parents from their grandkids on the holidays!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors