- 3 years ago
- Wedding: June 2013
Now that our wedding day has come and gone, I thought I would share with you my dress journey (with a ‘small’ Etsy seller review). I didn’t post much about this before the wedding, because I wasn’t sure if it would all come together. I didn’t end up getting my final altered dress until one hour before our rehearsal!
When we started planning our barn wedding in April of last year, I knew that I wanted my dress to have a vintage feel. I didn’t even really want to wear a “dress” – what I originally wanted was a skirt and top. Then, I came across the photo below, in the shop of Ruffle n’ Bustle on Etsy. I instantly fell in love with it! I didn’t want a traditional bridal gown, but being plus sized with a very large chest (36I) I figured I would have to go the custom route.
I wanted a top similar to the top of this dress (this was one of her dresses).
I also wanted a piece of my Nannie’s handkerchife sewn in to the back of the skirt. Something to remember her by. This was the example photo I sent to her.
I contacted the seller right then, and she told me that she would be able to create what I was looking for, and to contact her in the fall. So, in November of last year, I began the process with her. Everything went smoothly at first, and I paid my deposit (the total for the top and skirt would be roughly $550). She sent me fabric swatches, and I sent her my measurements. She then said she would begin working on it. I heard from her breifly a few times over the course of the next few months, but did not get much of an update until she was finished. During this time I learned that she was very pregnant, and would go going on Mat leave shortly. This worried me a little, but there wasn’t much I could do at that point. Two and a half months before my wedding, I reveived my package. (I should mention that this seller had a lot of positive feedback and reviews.)
Upon opening it, I was horrifed. Just looking at it in the box I could tell that it was sloppily sewn together. The materials used on the top were not what was pictured, they looked like something off of a Halloween costume. And then I put it on. And then I cried.
It was way too big. So, so, so, BIG.
The stitching was HORRIBLE.
The zipper on the skirt couldn’t zip to the top (not that it wouldn’t because it was too tight, because it wasn’t. It couldn’t because it would only go that far).
The heart was awful.
Right away I contacted the seller, and she advised that she does not do refunds for custom orders. While I understood this, that was not acceptable to me. I was not given the product that was promised. The seller advised me that it was not her fault if I gave her incorrect measurements, and she could not give me a refund. Well, I’m sorry, but I have had custom things made before, and have never been THAT FAR OFF when measuring (my Mom did them). I did, however, explain to her that the sole issue was not the fact that it didn’t fit, it was the fact that the outfit was very poorly made, and was not up to standard. She agreed to refund me my final payment (which was roughly $250). Well, I didn’t have energy or time to push any more, because I quickly had to find a new dress. I agreed to the partial refund.
Well, we never got that refund and she has fallen off the face of the earth. I will be filing a claim.
What hurts me the most about this, is that my Mom paid for the ‘dress’ for me, as a gift. My Mom is the sweetest and kindest person. She lives in an apartment across the road from us, and we are the best of friends. My Mom has secondary progressive MS, CHF, and recently had breast cancer removed. She is on disability, and was saving the money to buy my dress for some time. THIS KILLS ME, still.
We were 2.5 months out from the wedding, and I didn’t have anything to wear. I turned to the bee, and researched options. David’s seemed like the best option given my limeted budget, shape, and location. I ended up finding something that I liked! The most traditional dress around. Taffeta, sweetheart neckline, ball gown and strapless! All of the things I thought I hated.
I turned to the Bee again to find a bolero, which I did find, and loved. I can’t remember which Bee’s bolero reccomendation I used, but thank you to her, as I one I got was lovely!
Since I didn’t want to risk sewing in my Nannie’s fabric again, I decided to make a colourful sash (instead of the bow that it came with), and using some of the fabric for our guest quilt. I think it tied all of our wedding colors together nicely!
I also strassed my own shoes!
Two weeks before the wedding, my dress arrived at Davids. I took it to a local seamstress to have the top altered. It fit fine, other than my boobs spilling out the top! She took fabric from the bow, and added to the top of the bodice. I got the dress back the day before the wedding (talk about heart attack)!
In the end, everything worked out. Just as it seemed to in every silly thing that went wrong with the wedding. It was a wonderful day, and in the end, I did love my dress (it even had big pockets).
I guess the point of this post is to thank you all for sharing your dress woes, questions, and advice – because of that, this process was a lot easier for me!