(Closed) The Shut-It-Up Pact 1/07 – 1/13

posted 5 years ago in Waiting
Post # 3
624 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

I totally need this! I am like a dog with a bone only its an engagement ring haha. I dont mention it to my SO really, but I am making sure I dont even make hints about it! More so, I am shutting up about everything ring and wedding to everyone. My lips are sealed!

Post # 4
164 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I’m in!  We’ve been discussing marriage for months on a regular basis, and talking about rings since early fall.  We went ring shopping in November and I thought it was clear from everything he was saying then that we would be engaged by the end of 2012, if not sooner. 

Well, it’s now 1/7/13 and I’m no longer so sure.  I know he has talked to my dad, and last weekend he told me not to think he’s dragging his feet and I assured him I didn’t…but, if we are really going to get married in May as planned, I can’t help but think it’s necessary to be engaged SOON.  He knows I’ve been doing everything I can without a ring, but in all honesty the waiting is killing me right now.  (I’d like to say that if I just KNEW he was planning to do it this month, I’d feel better – but I’m not sure I really would. :))

So, I’m going to strive to shut up, and not bring up anything that makes him feel pressured. 

Post # 5
3248 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

I’m in! I’ve been hinting (about wanting to get engaged) a little too much lately and the other night I said something dumb and my SO grumbled about “thrice-weekly hints.” We talked about it and it turns out he thinks it’s sweet when I talk about wanting to get engaged, but sometimes the timing is bad and he doesn’t want to hear about it constantly. What he said made me realize that I do bring it up way too freakin’ much! I don’t have anyone IRL to talk about waiting with, who is in my situation, and I can’t talk to my mom or his mom about it at all, and I feel weird talking to my best friend about it since she recently ended a 3-year relationship and is just beginning a new relationship. . . sooo I tend to talk to my SO about it. AHGH! Luckily this board exists.

SO– I will do my best to not bring stuff up for the next week! This is good since I am going to visit my parents this weekend and I should not talk about it to them at all either.

Post # 8
1780 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

I think im officially going in on this….the ring has been in the house almost a week….and im trying very hard to be a good girl and not blow the e-ring talk up….sooo hopefully if i can shut it up….my proposal will come sooner then expected!

Post # 9
3248 posts
Sugar bee

@Sapphire-Dreamer:  I love the SIU graphic you made! Especially the zip-mouthed yellow smiley (not) face!

I also like your idea about being accountable for all engagement-speak. I think viewing it that way may make me less likely to blather foolishly about it.

Post # 11
164 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

So, I nearly fell, and would have were it not for the pact!  One of my waiting co-workers came by to tell me she is STILL not engaged (she is converting to Judaism for her SO, and he told her they’d be engaged by the end of the year…but they aren’t, and they are the final un-engaged couple in the class).  Then, she announced that another gal in the office just got engaged last night!

Were it not for the pact, I’d be emailing my SO right now going, “Hi dear, so more people in my office are getting engaged…and how’s your afternoon..”

Post # 13
328 posts
Helper bee

I want to join!! ( I took a long hard look in the mirror so to speak and need to shut it the hell up) 🙂

Post # 14
2949 posts
Sugar bee

I’m back in!! Since it’s only a month before Vegas, I want to focus on planning and enjoying the trip rather than getting too caught up in the knowledge that he will be proposing there and looking at every excursion thinking “Is this it??” I want to enjoy the trip for what it is.

The topic ‘The Shut-It-Up Pact 1/07 – 1/13’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors