(Closed) The Shut It Up Pact (SIUP) December 1 – 15 2014

posted 2 years ago in Waiting
  • poll: What are your gift giving parameters with your SO? (Open to all holidays, birthdays, etc.)
    We just get the other what that feels right. : (28 votes)
    62 %
    We set a limit on how much we spend. : (3 votes)
    7 %
    We set a spending limit, but spend more anyway. : (8 votes)
    18 %
    We opt not to buy gifts. : (3 votes)
    7 %
    Other, please explain! : (3 votes)
    7 %
  • Post # 2
    2013 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2016

BrownPlaidBook:  This year both sides of my family are dealing with health scares and we all agreed that family time is more important than gifts. Usually I have to buy for 18+ people on my fathers side and 4 on my mother’s, not to mention my SO’s parents, best friend and her parents plus my god son.

I’m looking forward to spending my money only on a few people and spending quality time with my rents. My SO and I usually give eachother an idea on what we want and I usually buy his requested item, plus boxers/socks/white tee’s because his get grungy. It’s the only time of the year he doesn’t get super mad when I give him new ones lol.

Post # 3
    438 posts
    Helper bee

So, I had a (I felt) needed conversation with the SO, regarding what I wanted… some of you may remember my first post regarding finding a search of his on Google about Tiffany engagement rings. I told him it was very important to me to have an ethically sourced diamond, and a Canadian diamond if possible. (This ruled out Tiffany without me telling him that directly!). He was surprised, and I showed him some Brilliant Earth rings that I loved. He even paused the TV to listen to me explain the 4 C’s, and which ones were most important to me. He said he understood, asked about the price of the ring I showed him (“Hmm, that’s actually not bad!” was his response), then said “well it still has to be a surprise”.

So, now I’m done! I’ve gotten out what I needed to say, and now I need to stop bringing it up. The lips need to stay zipped so he doesn’t get annoyed. I need to shut it up as of TODAY. I apoligized for making it seem like I was pressuring him, and he said he felt zero pressure, he’d do it when he wanted. But he said he thought it was adorable that I’m so excited to be married, and said that’s the way it should be! He also said it was a “guy thing” to pretend to drag your heels when talking to other people (“Ohh you know, engagement rings keep popping up on the computer, I think she’s trying to tell me something boys!” kind of thing). 

Question… what do bees do on the off chance SO mentions or brings up anything engagement/wedding related??

Post # 4
    438 posts
    Helper bee

MstoMrsH:  I HAVE to buy mine socks, or he just wears mine… pink ankle socks look particularly ridiculous on him. 😉 But I’m with you, it is the only time I can get him socks without getting a “really?” look.

Post # 5
    182 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: July 2015

Definitely in this round now that i know an xmas engagement is coming 🙂 

I usually buy mine a few xbox games, and stuff he wants and we do eachothers stockings 🙂

Post # 6
    2013 posts
    Buzzing bee

stokesto:  If he brings it up in terms of needing ring ideas and such I don’t know what I’d do besides tell him as specifically as possible and drop the conversation when he stops asking haha.

My SO started the custom ring process this saturday so I gave myself the weekend to blab about how excited I was and I’m officially starting the pact fresh this morning. Trying hard to keep my mouth shut but I am so excited 😀 Good luck!

Post # 7
    2013 posts
    Buzzing bee

travelbee:  I hope your night before x-mas stocking/wine idea is accepted for romance sake 😉

Post # 8
    200 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: February 2017

I am signing myself up for this round! I am hoping a proposal won’t be far off but I can’t be sure! I had my last chat with him yesterday after I asked him if he wanted to get married to which he replied “yes I want to marry you, in time” I told him the “in time” part hurt my feelings and he was horrified he had upset me, said he thought that because his answer had a yes in it and “in time” could mean any amount of time from now that it would be good for me to hear… Proof that men just don’t get what upsets and agitates us!!! So there I really need to keep quiet on the subject now!!!

I have bought him tickets to an event which happens to fall on valentines day and a hotel to stay in that night! 🙂 

Post # 9
    744 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2017

Gift exchanging depends for us, sometimes we come to the agreement not to exchange gifts (this has even happened on our anniversary) but we always exchange gifts for Christmas. This year he got a pair of sneakers he wanted :-/ I am getting an exercise machine and some clothes. I will probably also buy him him boxers, socks and t-shirts like the ladies above. I ahve never bought him these things before so I don’t know what his reaction will be.

Post # 10
    744 posts
    Busy bee

stokesto:  Sounds like it was good for you to have that talk and get what you want then to get what he thinks you’d want. 

travelbee:  Xmas engagement sounds so awesome. I would love a Christmas engagement where he involves the boys but I’d also like 12/13/14 as it won’t be around again for a long time. We have a date that day but I believe that’s it. Are you excited knowing you have less than 30 days? A New Year’s bringing the new year in with your eyes closed and opening them to a proposal would be awesome too lol. 

WhiteRose07:  I agree they have NO idea. LOL! My SO tells me it’s coming and even my grandma is like what the hell is that supposed to mean but that’s all he is willing to tell me so I must shut up *insert eye roll*

Post # 11
    94 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: May 2016

I’m back in for this round!

I didn’t do 100% awesome in the last pact (I slipped during a rant last night, announcing that “there’s no way [a certain someone making me crazy] is coming to our wedding”- ha. Oh well. He sweetly agreed and then we dropped it). 

We’ll see how I do this time… my LD boyfriend is moving in with me in 2 weeks’ time, so that should be interesting!

We’ve decided against gifts this Christmas because we’re going on a little trip in January and we are sort of broke anyway. He said a gesture will be enough. I think I’ll make him a Christmas stocking…

We can do this, gals!

Post # 12
    17 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: December 1969

Oh my gosh I absolutely need to join this. I’m going crazy waiting and i can’t keep my mouth shut. 

Post # 13
    110 posts
    Blushing bee

Going to try to make it the whole time without bringing up engagement stuff but it’s so hard especially with all these other engagements popping up! I got him a down blankets, towels and a pillow (he said that’s what he really wanted!) 

Post # 14
    2509 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: December 1969

I’m not good at sticking to limits- with my SO, my kids, & other fam members. I tend to be impulsive and overspend and I love spoiling the people I care about. I don’t go too too overboard but my SO and I always set limits and I always find “one more thing” I want to get him. He tends to spend more than the liimit too which is sweet with him because it’s out of character for him, he’s usually so responsible and practical.

I don’t think a ring will come as soon as the holidays. I’d love to be surprised, but I don’t want to get my hopes up and have it spoil my mood if there is no proposal (I’m thinking spring might be more realistic for us)

I really truly need the pact- now that we’ve had a ‘timeline’ talk (wish I didn’t need to do that), I don’t want to keep bringing it up. And I don’t want to allow myself petty jealousies and insecurities that will affect our relationship and the holidays.

Post # 15
    744 posts
    Busy bee

Mslannister:  I completely agree. All of these bees getting engaged and then people I went to school with are getting engaged and married it is making keeping it zipped life hard.

The topic ‘The Shut It Up Pact (SIUP) December 1 – 15 2014’ is closed to new replies.

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors