Post # 1
Not fun. 🙁
Darling Husband first noticed a little bit of a smell at the beginning of the week, and then it got worse the next day. With a great amount of trepidation, we took the room apart, but found nothing! (Imagine the disgust – everything you move, you are prepared to find a rotting mouse corpse! yuck!) But luckily (or unluckily!) we found nothing! After a bit of research on the internet, it seems that having mice die in the walls is not that uncommon, and it takes about 1-2 weeks for the smell to go away. But it’s weird b/c we have *never* had any indication of mice in the walls… I’m wondering if it’s just a fluke mouse that came in through the open garage door or something and got trapped and then made his way into the wall?
So, this week has been fun. The heat may be making the smell worse (but hopefully that means the mouse is rotting faster? And it’s nice that it’s so warm we can keep the window open!) But the crazy (lucky!) thing is that the smell is completely isolated to ONE room- the guest room that we almost never go in! So, we’ve just been keeping the door shut, and the window open all day! (Here’s to hoping that the smell does go away, and soon! Not sure what we’ll do if it doesn’t…)
Anyone ever dealt with this?
Post # 3
Oh boy, I have had a dead mouse inside my couch… It took 2 days of tearing that thing apart, didn’t help that it was a hide-a-bed! Be diligent try places you haven’t looked… you’ll be surprised! My mouse was inside one of the springs! HARD to find!
Post # 4
YES! This happened to us a few months ago. The smell was disgusting and we could NOT figure out where it was coming from. Eventually it went away. Then a few weeks ago, we were sitting in DH’s office and our cat started playing with something in the office. I was like “Um, is that a toy, or a dead mouse?” So, finally found the corpse. Ick.
Post # 5
@happyface: the only place it *might* be, is in the mattress. I looked at it very closely all over, and found some places that were a little ripped (possibly chewed?) but it is a pretty old mattress so they could have come from anywhere. But when I looked at the little places that were ripped, They didn’t seem to “go anywhere,” you know? I dunno, maybe we should put the mattress in the garage for a day to see if the smell moves with it! Gross!
Post # 6
Oh my gosh I seriously gag at the thought of dead mice. A couple of years ago we were staying at my dad’s house in the north woods. I was doing a load of laundry and went to pull the clothes out of the dryer. I didn’t have my glasses on and say something fluffy, I must of had some kind of intuition because I went and got my glasses and her it was a mouse that I apparently washed with our clothes. The worst part was that its little tail was seperate from the rest of its body and fell out when I was getting the rest of the laundry out.
Post # 7
@ieatunicorns: oh. my. I would be SCARRED for life!
Post # 8
I am deathly terrified of mice. I had one run across my foot when I was a little kid, and it’s scarred me for life. A month or two ago, we had one inside our house and I found it dead, in front of the dishwasher. I screamed, then ran out of the house. My dad was home. I figured if I let him know while I was still inside the house, he’d make me help dispose of it. It’s one of the weird things about me. Fiance is in the science industry, so he does a lot of work with mice. He knows that he will be the one who will have to deal with this, and thankfully, he’s okay with it.