These centerpieces cost $100?! Opinions please.

posted 2 years ago in Flowers
Post # 2
1627 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Ask for an itemized list of supplies, flowers, and labor costs. Then price check the supplies and flowers with other vendors.

Post # 3
1627 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I’d go back to your current vendor with inspiration pictures of centerpieces you like and see what she can do and thr costs.  You may need another florist. Those centerpieces do not look like $100 and definitely do not look like an enchanted garden.

Post # 4
668 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

I don’t think those centerpieces are worth the price she is quoting you. There are very few floral elements and the design isn’t so elaborate or unique that it should come with a premium design surcharge.

My bouquet is setting me back in the $200-250 range, which seemed within the normal range in my area. There will be some pricier blooms in my arrangement, so I feel the price is alright.

Have you paid a deposit yet? Can you cancel and book another florist?

Post # 5
12870 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Yea, sorry, I wouldn’t pay much more than $40-50 for those center pieces.  $100 is a huge rip off imo.   Is it too late to cancel and go with someone else or even diy, those don’t look very hard to recreate.  I got my bouquets from Whole foods ($85 for mine and $40 for BMs) and they charge only cost of the flowers, no labor mark up and it turned out awesome so $250 sounds like a lot.  I was getting “real” florist quotes for $150 so that at least soudns more reasonable..

Post # 6
9137 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

aconnor82:  Those are not $100 centerpieces.  $40 okay.  But not $100!

Post # 7
8680 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

You could probably do these yourself for $100. The should charge you less because Im sure she’s using things they already has available to her, but charges you full price for.

Post # 9
9526 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

Have you already signed a contract with her? I agree that you could do those cheaper yourself, if you will have someone to set them up for you on the day of the wedding. 

Post # 10
1762 posts
Buzzing bee

aconnor82:  You could probably do those yourself for LESS than $100. Hell, you could probably do them even better for that much. I think that you are being overcharged. If I saw these, I would assume that they were an awesome DIY project, and not something that you paid $100 for a professional to create. It’s ok to tell her that what she has shown you isn’t exactly what you had in mind. I would shop around a bit more before you commit to this particular florist/designer. If you do decide to stick with her, play hardball. Let her know that you aren’t impressed and that she either needs to bring down the price, or increase the wow factor.

Post # 11
1072 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

Sounds like a ripoff to me. You could probably get the same thing at your local craft store for $20-$30, and she presumably would be able to use several of the parts more than once.

Post # 12
2173 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

I don’t know about the golden stick thing, but a friend made lantern centerpieces similar to that for about $30.  _She used fake flowers.)  Plus she was able to sell the stuff after, so she recouped some money.

Post # 13
405 posts
Helper bee

I would find a new florist.  Her prices are outrageous.  

Post # 14
1649 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

Yeah you can do that for less than $100. We sell similar lanterns at my workplace for about $25, that candle looks about $5, you can buy a bulk version of that moss for pretty cheap, and use silk or real flowers on the bottom. When I bought real carnations for my brother’s centrepieces they were 25c a piece. As for that wooden bit under the lamp, craft stores sell those and they are inexpensive. 

So yeah you can make the top centrepiece for about $30-$40.

Post # 15
1926 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

aconnor82:  go to and you can make those for WAY cheaper!!!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors