Post # 1
(and where you’re from – since I’m betting a lot of these are related to regional/cultural norms)
I had never heard…
1. of bridal portraits (like getting all decked out just for pictures weeks/months prior to the wedding)
2. of the role of “Personal Attendants” (in addition to bridesmaids)
3. of Moissanite
4. of brides having input/concern in what anyone other than the bridal party wears
5. of inviting a seperate group of people to come after dinner has been served
6. that not handwriting envelopes was bad etiquette
7. that honeymoon registries can be considered rude
8. of Chinese replica dress websites (and how many of them there are!!)
I’ve grown up in Mass, lived in NYC, but been to a pretty equal amount of weddings here and the midwest (Chicago, Minnesota)
Post # 3
3. of Moissanite BIG TIME. I’m actually still totally confused.
7. that honeymoon registries can be considered rude. This, for me, just make me uncomfortable. I didn’t ‘learn’ it here, I already knew anything regarding a registry made my skin prickle with unease. Totally personal!
Post # 4
Great post by the way! It’s funny, right?
Post # 5
I had never heard of:
2. Handwritten invites being rude
3. Trash the Dress shoots
4. Anything other than open bar
5. A “B-List” for invites
6. People being looked at as strange/selfish for not wanting children and the fact that there is a name for for it? (CBC). I just always looked at it as different strokes for different folks.
Raised and currently living in Los Angeles.
7. People thinking alternative stones for engagement rings were non traditional.
Post # 6
Great thread! Here are some things I could think of off the bat:
- Engagement Pictures [ yea seriously, I was clueless]
- Picking out your Engagement ring
Edit: I was from the Northeast, and now live deep tropical south, US with a spanish twist.
Post # 7
@mandypop: NJ here. Agree with pretty much all of yours above. Also adding:
– parties to open your wedding gifts the day after the wedding
-hrmmm..I feel like there are more but can’t think of them
Post # 8
2. Head tables with bridal party (in my culture a head table would be family)
3. A lot of the photo shoots, like bridal portraits, lingerie, etc. I thought bridal portraits were just the individual bridal shots that the photographer takes on the wedding dayP
4. A/B invite lists
5. Honeymoon registry
Born in Illinois, raised in South Florida – its religion that mostly has to do with me rather than where I’m from.
Post # 9
ditto on Moissy
People NEVER having been to a wedding with a buffet or money dance ( very common in my area)
Cocktail Hour before reception ( who knew!)
seating charts as a mandatory thing
born and raised in Louisiana.. have lived in AL and TN ( currently reside)
Post # 10
2. Engagement pictures
3. Trash the dress
4. Diamond stimulant (I know of CZ though)
What else? Might add more later :-).
Post # 11
@DeadlyNightshade: 6 and 7 – totally agree. Being CBC in LA/NYC is sooooooooo common that no one even blinks an eye at it. And a BUNCH of my friends have sapphires, I always thought any shiny thing on your left hand ring finger was pretty traditional!!
Post # 12
1. Moissy (of course)
2. Trash the Dress
3. First Look pictures
4. women picking out their own engagement rings
5. Chinese knock off wedding dresses
and there are so many more but those are the big 5.
Post # 13
Number #1 – Moissanite!!!
– Honeymoon registry
– Bridal shower
– Engagement party
– Save the dates
And many more…lol!
Born and raised in South Florida and I have been clueless about these things because in the Latin culture none of these things are heard of, lol.
Post # 14
- That people judged other people for not changing their name
- Chinese knock-off dresses
I live in San Diego but I have also lived in Los Angeles.
Post # 15
@Eva Peron: TOTALLY forgot about trash the dress. Still don’t get it.
@novacaineandlaughter: Um, WTF is viennesse hour?!
Post # 16
@WillyNilly: My though exactly on the viennesse hour, lol!