Post # 1
Due to finacial issues we have had to oush back our wedding 3 times already. Currently its set for next April. Neither my FI or I have jobs right now and we both jsut started colleges. mine is really short and self paced so should only take me a few months. but we have both been unemployed for about 2 years. The economy sucks here. i even graduated school last year and couldnt find a job with that degree anywhere but that was more becuase of the reputation of the school and now found out it is also unaccredited. im really praying we will get jobs soon, hoepfully for what were going to school for but at this point ill be happy with anything. but in the meantime our wedding will be coming up fast and i’d hate to have to tell the venue and everyone that we had to push it back yet again. and if we set it for another date whose to say if nothing changes that we might have to push it back again? would it make sense to just get our money back from our venue place for now and once we have jobs and are really ready to do it to rebook it? plus my FI doesnt really care for the place anyway and wants to look for something nicer so we would have the money to be able to put as a deposit somewhere if we found one when were ready. Since its still only july im thinking we should give it a few more months, like set a deadline to have jobs and be more set by. and if were still in the same boat then pull the plug.
Post # 3
I’m sorry this is happening, maybe you can push back to an off season month? That’s what we are doing. One because its cheaper in Nov. as well as fall is my favorite season. Maybe family and friends can help?
Post # 4
were already in an off season month.
Post # 5
Check your contract with the venue. The more you wait, the harder it will be to cancel and get any deposit back.
I’m not saying you have to do this, but if it were me, I wouldn’t feel comfortable setting a date for a wedding if I didn’t know I could save enough money for it. I’d push it back. OR suck it up and cut down to something much more basic, if I really feel that it must happen sooner rather than later.
Post # 6
I think you should scrap the wedding ideas completely until you are financially stable, have stable jobs, and have an emergency cushion saved. And it should be done asap – pushing it til last minute is risky and irresponsible in my opinion. They also might be more likely to give your money back the farther out it is from the date, since they would have a greater chance of filling the spot. It’s tough but your stability and stress levels should be prioritized over a wedding.
Post # 7
OP: Even a small wedding would cost hundreds or thousands of dollars, money that could go toward tuition or rent. I don’t think it’s financially wise to plan a wedding while you’re both unemployed, so IMO it would be best to cancel the venue and wait.
Post # 8
I talked to my FI about this last night and he thinks it would be smart to cancel it. He doesnt like the place anyway and last night I found a place thats much nicer and in a nicer neighborhood. It costs more but for being nicer thats what you get. and its overlooking the lake which would be gorgeous for pictures. So our plan now is to cancel our place we have then just keep the money in savings until were really ready and then book this new place. Which then we’ll already have about half of what we need (the new place is about $2500 and we have a little less then $1000) plus in the extra time we have the time to save up for the new better place. plus this new place still allows us to bring in our own food which is great cause we didnt want to use a caterer so that saves on costs a lot!