Post # 1
We visited a venue last week that I have been in love with for quite a while. I have been looking for a barn/outdoor ceremony venue for a while now that fit the look and budget I am going for. While I still love the original venue I had chosen, I didn’t want to make a quick decision without checking out other places. I have it narrowed down to 3-4 that I would be interested in visiting. However, I have called/sent emails to these places and none of them have responded with anything….
The venue I love did not have any Saturdays left in April/May of 2013. They do have Fridays and Sundays open though. At first, I thought a Friday would be too difficult for guests, but after speaking with several guests/members of the wedding party, they convinced me it would not be an issue. I am strongly leaning on booking this venue.
There are two places I am waiting to hear back from that are less expensive than my favorite venue and they have Saturdays open for April 2013, but they have not gotten back in touch with me yet with details or given me the option to set up an appt. This is highly frustrating. They are also twice the distance from home as well.
Hmmm….should I book my favorite venue for a Friday that is closer and a tad more expensive or travel twice the distance for a 2nd choice venue on a Saturday??? I don’t really feel i can make a decision unless I see the other venues in person, but if they don’t get back to my email/phone calls then 1st venue choice it is.
Anyone else have this experience? What did/would you do?
Post # 3
any venue i contacted that did not get back to me within 2 days, i scrapped them… that’s not good business!
I think everything happens for a reason, then venue we chose is FANTASTIC, and they have been amazing with communicating with us. I believe this was the place that was meant to be
I say go for the one you love if they are the only ones to respond to you, even if it is a bit more(and you can afford it), because that says alot
Post # 4
@RockStar33: Thats a great point. I figured if they did not get back in touch with me in a couple days they must not want the business. The venue I love has been great so far with communication and that is really important to me. Thank you and congrats!! 🙂
Post # 5
Honestly, I used to be a catering manager, and I can say from experience that most likely, they’re soooo not on April 2013 yet. They’re probably scrambling to finish up the March/April 2012 brides right now haha! I would try to be patient…maybe give them another call and let them know that you’re anxious for a response, but I wouldn’t say that you should scrap the whole thing over no response for a few days. They might just be really busy.
Post # 6
@RockStar33: We did the same thing. Anybody who didn’t treat us like our business was important got cut from our list. We couldn’t see ourselves trying to continue on planning out such a big event if they can’t even be bothered to respond quickly to basic questions.
I say go with your gut on who you feel would “jive” with you the best. That’s how we ended up finding venues that are super flexible, friendly, and responsive. It took a huge weight off our shoulders. It might take more looking, or it might be best to stick with the one you’ve already spoken with. Good luck!!
Post # 7
If they are not going to communicate with you now, what makes you think they will have good communication with you after you pay them thousands of dollars to rent their venue? I had that problem with one venue in town, and though my heart had been set on them for years, I nixed them like that! I AM NOT going to pay you thousands of dollars for poor service on the most important day of my life thus far.
Post # 8
I booked my venue for June 2013 in SEPTEMBER 2011.
No excuse for poor communication. Especially when you’re going to be shelling out thousands of dollars to these people.
Post # 9
pretty much all venues are really busy, but they are staffed enough to keep up! and if i’m paying that much money, i want enough staff around to be able to respond back quickly, and work with me. Our venue has provided us with 3 different people we can contact on a daily basis if we should have any questions… and that’s aside from our coordinator. We always get a response within 24 hours and they are a VERY busy venue.
Post # 10
I would try to contact them just to check it out before you book with the first choice.
It’s always nice to compare a few before you decide. I had to drag FI to a couple but we glad we did visit a few so that we know how GOOD the one we booked look like 🙂
Post # 11
@kswiftbride: I’m just saying…been there, done that, I know what the other side of the fence looks like and sometimes the water is over your head and you have to decide what you do first…tomorrow, or two years from now? Agreed, ideally, they should have at least responded to say, hey, we’re really busy right now, we’ll get back to you soon…but my overall point is that I would hate to see @future.mrs.c miss out on a venue that she likes over not getting a response for a few days. Maybe someone is out of the office, or had a family emergency, or something…it’s not fair to go straight to thinking that clearly, they suck, when you don’t know what’s happening on the other side.
It always really hurt my feelings when people would say that I wasn’t doing enough, when little did they realize that I was doing my best to answer phone calls and emails on my blackberry during my sister’s wedding reception on a holiday. The catering industry is harder than a lot of people think, because it doesn’t really stop like a 9:00-5:00 job, and you’re not at your desk for a lot of the day.
Ok, all…I’m off of my soap box now lol!! As I said before, I would suggest trying again, or stopping by…and if you still don’t get a response by next week, then maybe go with another venue.
Post # 12
I would say they are probably very busy with weddings right now. I have been missing meetings with my photographer and officiant because they are VERY BOOKED right now. Patience is a virture. I wouldnt say wait forever for them. Keep your options open. I would let them know that you are looking to book. I booked my venue for April 2013 in February. I wouldnt try to wait around because first come, first serve. We originally wanted our wedding date on April 6, 2013 but days before we were going to meet with the venue, our date got booked. The ONLY best date left for us was April 13th so we hurried the next day (the venue is almost 2 hrs away) and booked that date. My next meeting with my officiant is March 24th and though Ive tried contacting my photographer twice, I understand how busy a good photographer can get so Im giving him a little more time. He’s about the only good photographer I can find within my budget. But my patience does draw short.
Post # 13
@future.mrs.c: I PM’d you, let me know if I can help! (:
Post # 14
If they don’t treat you right before they get your money, what’s to say they will once they have that check in hand? I’d move on, personally.