(Closed) Tip for Hair & Makeup Trials

posted 10 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 3
1238 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2008

Okay, so in the U.S. we have a "habit" of tipping everywhere — this isn’t the case in many other contries. Because the rules are so varying here is what I follow:

I always tip UNLESS the person is self-employed, then I make the assumption that they have set the pricing themselves and they make direct profit after their costs.

If the person works for a company or other stylist, then they are only earning a percentage of the fee and (most likely) they did not set the price; therefore, I find in necessary to tip. 

As for the wedding day make-up, if you choose to tip you need to tip a percentage of the total bill.  Once again, this is where it gets tricky — most people tip between 10 – 20% — you have to decide, there is no rule here.  The tip is SUPPOSED to be based on quality of service, not a set amount. If you think your BM’s should pay the tip, then simply tell them the cost of the service and ask them to tip in accordance with that and the quality of service.

Have fun!

Post # 5
2365 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

I know that the owner of the salon never should accept tips. Every other person who provides a service deserves a tip! I am sure it’s 20%.

Post # 6
596 posts
Busy bee

Even though I’ve read that the owner doesn’t need to be tipped, I still tipped my hair and makeup stylist even though she was self-employed.  Also, everything that I’ve read seems to indicate that they certainly appreciate the gesture when you love the work that they have done.  For me, it just seems safe to do so and ensure that they will continue to do a great job on the day of the wedding!  I’d hate for them to remember me as the cheapskate that didn’t tip. 

The topic ‘Tip for Hair & Makeup Trials’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors