(Closed) Tips & Ideas For DIY Seating Chart

posted 8 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
10851 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

Do you mean like a display seating chart, or just one for you to sort out where everyone is sitting?

I’m picking up a sheet of foamcore from the dollar store, drawing the venue on it (to scale), and then drawing and cutting out all the tables, and printing out all the guest names. I’m going to pin the tables and names on with tacks or stick pins so I can move it around to sort it out. I’ve been using the seating plan tool on Marthastewartweddings.com but I’ve found for the size of our venue/guestlist it’s a bit difficult to manuever. I’m going old school 😉

Post # 4
1498 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I’ve seen a few neat ideas…. using a white paint market on glass windows.

using chalkboard paint on a piece of wood and framing it

Post # 6
1498 posts
Bumble bee

@bakerella: I interpreted what she wanted differently, but your idea for actually figuring out seating assignments is great.

I’ve also considered using a poster board and sticky notes with everyones name on them.

Post # 7
1498 posts
Bumble bee

You can get damanged frames at places like Michaels for discounted prices. They usually don’t look bad at all, then just use a piece of wood or glass and affix it to the frame with brackets on the back. Super easy and cheap.

Post # 9
10851 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

@mishelleez: Hmmmm well you could do something up in photoshop and then have it printed poster size. OR if you wanted something more textural, I would maybe get some scrap fabrics together, cut them out into your rounds or whatever table size you’re using and glue them on to a foam board (wrap in a neutral fabric first maybe or use a coloured board). You could use little wooden numbers painted in your colours and glue those on top of the tables. Are you having assigned seating? Are there any architectural features of the room like columns or is it a non-rectangular shape?

Post # 11
1498 posts
Bumble bee

I think the shape of the tables should match what’s actually in the room.

Post # 12
10851 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

@mishelleez: I would do rounds. You could get a big round paper punch or use pinking shears to cut out traced circles. Pay a visit to Micheals or JoAnn Fabrics to see what they have pre-cut. You could use wood circles and paint them. That would be easier! Or pretty scrapbooking paper mounted on some foamboard to give it some dimension.

Post # 13
1498 posts
Bumble bee

@bakerella: I like idea of using wood rounds…. but I’m wondering how she’ll then identify which table the guests are supposed to sit at. 

@mishelleez: Are you not having table numbers on the actual tables?

Post # 14
10851 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

@mcnetn3: I would likely buy some of those little wooden numbers from Michaels, paint them in another colour and glue them on top of the rounds. Or if you have a steady hand, you could paint them on. I prefer a bit of dimension though, so I would likely do the wood ones if you could find ones small enough.

Post # 16
10851 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

@mishelleez: So then I would go to Michael’s or JoAnn’s, buy some wood circles in the right size and then you can paint them or glue the fabric on (wrap around and glue on underside). That way there’s no cutting or frayed edges that need to look perfect 🙂

The topic ‘Tips & Ideas For DIY Seating Chart’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors