(Closed) Toning arms & shoulders?

posted 7 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
1843 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Get some 5-pound dumbells and work your arms.  You can find the different exercises online that you should be doing.  You’ve still got 2 months and you should definitely be able to see some arm toning in that time.

Post # 5
3978 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Yoga! Your arms will be burning after a few flows with holds in down dog.

There are great weight exercises online for arms. My favorite: with two hands hold the weight right behind your head, lift until arms are mostly straight and lower till your thumbs touch the base of your neck. Do a bunch of sets 🙂

Post # 6
6351 posts
Bee Keeper

The eliptical did wonders for my arms.

Post # 7
2548 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

One word: Pushups.

Post # 8
1115 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I recommend a combo of cardio (running is great) and weight training.

You’ll see better results from doing both. And lift as heavy as you can while still maintaining correct form.  Less reps/heavier weights.

Post # 9
565 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

@Theresa90405: I was told the exact oppposite , I was told more reps lighter weight to lean down, and less reps heavier weight to bulk up!

I am trying to lose weight and work on my arms / shoulders so I do 20 minutes on the elliptical and about 8 different machines working all the diff. parts of my arms / shoulders/ back and I usually do 4 sets of 20 reps  using 20-30 lbs.

Am I doing things wrong?

Post # 10
642 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

@Theresa90405:  I agree with you here.  Cardio and weight training is the way to go.  

Here’s the thing…if you have lean arms and just want to tone, targeted exercises of the arm will probably do it.  However, if you need to lose flesh (for lack of a better term) to see those toned muscles, you have to do cardio for the weight loss (at least 30 minutes to 1 hour) 4-6 times a week is best)…you cannot target a specific part of the body for weight loss.  It just doesn’t work that way.  

@Anniebo: It’s really difficult for women to “bulk” up.  If you are doing less weight/more reps and do not struggle with the last five reps, you need to add weight.  I generally work with 5-10 pound free weights, but I see a lot of women around the gym with 2.5.  No pain, no gain.

Since we are talking about exercise I might as well say this…training for a triathlon (just talking a sprint or olympic distance here) is one of the best things you can do for weight loss.  A combination of running, swimming, biking (or spin class), and weight training is the ultimate weight loss program.  It will make you toned and lean too.  I’ve always been athletic, but training for and competing in triathlons has helped me lose those last five pounds (you know, the ones that like to hang out on the side of the butt/thigh).

Post # 11
655 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

@Anniebo: No you are correct, high weight low reps is to build muscle, low weight high reps is to tone

Post # 12
6998 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2011

i second the push ups – there is seriously no better way to work your arms than that.

secondly dumbbells – 5 pounds and do like 3 sets of 15 on whatever exercise you choose – higher reps lower weight -but make sure you can feel it

Post # 14
159 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I feel the same way! I was a swimmer for a good 10 year so I feel I have broad shoulders and back. I started running and doing other forms of cardio (mostly zumba and kickboxing) about 4-5 times a week, no weights for me.

Post # 15
270 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I agree that push-ups, free weights, and yoga are all great for strengthening your arms.  I don’t know anything about what you look like or how much you weigh, but regardless, it’s going to be hard to notice a difference in muscle tone if you have excess fat on your arms.  I speak from experience!  It wasn’t until I did consistent weight traning AND lost a little weight that you could see any muscle tone in my arms.  Same goes for muscle anywhere else, like your abs.  You can have the strongest abs in the world, but if you have excess fat, they’ll be covered up.

Post # 16
2154 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I just want to reiterate that unless you’re training for several hours each day, it’s very difficult for women to “bulk up” their upper body. Lift some serious weights, and do some pushups, and you’ll build beautiful lean muscles if you’re like most ladies.

The topic ‘Toning arms & shoulders?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors