Too soon to buy a dress? September 2016

posted 2 years ago in Dress
Post # 2
1749 posts
Bumble bee

If you really love this dress and it’s about to be discontinued, you should go ahead and buy it.

If you decide that you don’t like the dress as the wedding gets closer, you can sell that one and buy another one with plenty of time to spare. 

I don’t think it’s too early to buy a dress when you know that you love that dress in particular and don’t want to wear any other one. Now if you just started looking early and thought, “Hey, this dress is nice — I might as well buy it”, and you were still browsing dresses, then I’d probably say that it’s too early to start buying a dress. 

Post # 3
110 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

MrsNarwahl:  If you’re willing to stop looking at dresses for 2 years, then go for it. Just know that David’s has new models every 6 months and they have gorgeous things in EVERY collection. They even make it harder for you because they email you with their new arrivals once you’re on their mailing list.

Besides, it’s a long time, and you may want something completely different 2 years from now. I have been engaged for almost 2 years now and my wishlist certainly changed a lot from the moment I got engaged to the day I actually went dress shopping (2 months ago). Oddly enough, the one dress that was there from the start as an “ehh” dress grew on me over time, and when I went dress shopping it hadn’t been discontinued and ended up being THE dress!

Which model is it?

Post # 5
916 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2016

My wedding is looking to be September 2016 as well, and I am already getting things ready (purchased swatches, designed/edited images of my gown, etc) to purchase a custom-made gown from Jasmine’s Bridal Shop (JBS).

I am getting a corset back so fluctuations in weight will be accounted for (but I also expect to do alterations, too)!

If you feel it in your gut… go for it!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  nikkiibee.
Post # 6
134 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2015 - Calamigos Ranch

I don’t think 3 years is too early if you know it’s the one. But I also know you can find a discontinued dress years after the design is discontinued. Mine is a 2009 Monique Lhuillier. 2009! And I purchased it as a sample in 2013 at a fraction of the price.

Post # 7
444 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

When I went shopping at David’s Bridal, they also told me dresses would be discontinued…yeah, that was at least 9 months ago, and those dresses are still there.  It’s a beautiful dress, but you are a long way out. That dress is also very popular, and chances are you will be able to find a preowned one online for a long time to come.

<table style=”height: 5px;” width=”8″>
<tbody>
<tr>
<td> </td>
<td> </td>
<td> </td>
<td> </td>
<td> </td>
<td> </td>
<td> </td>
<td> </td>
<td> </td>
<td> </td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

Post # 8
576 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2016

Omg you girls stress me out loool mine is in July 2016 and we haven’t done anything at all even though we are long-distance xD I think it’s a good idea to buy it now and if ever you change your mind you’ll still have some time to sell it! : ) plus this dress is gorgeous!!! 

Post # 10
6030 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

IF you buy this early, first promise yourself that you won’t look at bridal shops or websites once you write tat check. Two years is plenty of time for you to develop “dress regret” and change your mind. Buying a second dress is a huge waste of time and money, but with literally thousands of other dresses out there, you’re almost certain to find something that catches your eye. 

Also make sure you have a proper way to store the dress so that the fabric (especially lace) does not yellow, or fade.

Post # 11
110 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

MrsNarwahl:  Oooo! beautiful! It’s so elegant and timeless… I actually tried this one on! It is one of David’s classics. They’ve had it in stock for a long time now. That means they won’t discontinue it for a while. 

Now, it doesn’t matter if you get it too early/late, it’s normal to have dress regret. But it’s easier to get it if you purchase it too early because trends come and go. For example, two or three years ago, gowns were all about the draping, then lace started to have a comeback. Last year the “new” thing were really elaborate backs with keyhole necks and mermaid gowns became the new standard. The new thing now are champagne and blush dresses and 3D details. The point is, with new things popping up every now and then you might second guess yourself. 

If you’re the type of gir who has always had that clear vision of how she wants to wear, go for it. If you’re constantly making up your mind about this stuff, just wait. Especially if you haven’t set a date/location yet. 

Post # 12
564 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

My suggestion is to wait. There are soooooo many dresses out there any styles change!!! I really wanted to know the “feel” of my wedding before purchasing. I’m getting married at a hotel, so I went with something a little more formal but yet fun (ruffles) 

Post # 13
1904 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014 - TTC #2

MrsNarwahl:  I bought my dream dress 18 months out as it was being discontinued. I really thought carefully about it and finally bought it, but truth is, my tastes changed about a year later and I ended up with dress regret.

I ended up just wearing it and I sure looked beautiful, but not *perfect*. I wish I’d waited until closer to the wedding.

Post # 14
703 posts
Busy bee

MrsNarwahl:  I would normally say wait but I think the dress you have chosen is classic and timeless and a great price! If you do pick this I wouldn’t be watching say yes to the dress or be on the dress boarda here too much 2 years is a long time for dress regret to set in! 

Post # 15
1072 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

For $300, that seems like a good deal. Usually I would say it is too early to get the dress, but for that price you can probably get a second one if you develop dress regret. I don’t think it would be too hard to resell either.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors