Post # 1
Stupid storm. I’m supposed to be leaving tomorrow on a weekend long bachelorette trip in Destin, FL for my friend. We’re coming from Baton Rouge, LA. I’m originally from North Louisiana, give me a tornado any day of the week and I’m fine, but hurricanes scare the hell out of me. The projected path is right along where we’ll be, which already means no beach time.
I don’t want to be a shitty friend and back out of going, but I’m really concerned about the weather. God forbid I don’t want something happening like a wreck while driving in awful weather, or we get stuck there because the weather’s too bad to drive in. Not to mentioning we’re in the middle of TTC and I’ll be ovulating on Saturday (TMI sorry!) so I’ll basically be missing my window, which makes me want to cry.
Ugh. How awful am I being right now? I talked to the bride, but all she knows is “there will be rain all weekend” and says we’re still going. I don’t think she’s checked out actual info on TS Karen.
Sorry this is long, I just needed to vent. What would y’all do?
Post # 3
I’d tell her there’s going to be a nasty tropical storm and the weekend is a wash. Can you reschedule or maybe go west/north somewhere?
Post # 4
@Fluffmallow: I personally would like to stay here and go bar hopping. I’m chatting on facebook with a few of the other bridesmaids/weekend attendees to see if I’m the only one worried about the weather.
Post # 5
I don’t blame you; as much as I love the beach, I don’t think I’d want to mess with that either.
Post # 6
A tropical storm is a totally legit reason not to go. If you’re not comfortable driving, don’t do it. It’s not worth it. I wouldn’t go, either. Stay home and stay safe.
Post # 7
- Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL
@BRbee: Have sex tonight and tomorrow morning. Drive safe. Get blitzed if it rains. You’ll be on the good side of hurricane so no worries.
Post # 8
The track of the storm may change. Maybe you’ll be ok. I’m way more scared of tornadoes than hurricanes…but I grew up in South Florida with huricanes. At least you have time to hunker down and prepare for a hurricane, and hurricane parties make them a bit more bearable 😉
Post # 9
I’m guessing she hasn’t actually looked at / thought about the Weather Forecast.
Right Now the NHC ~ National Hurricane Centre is saying that “Karen” will make landfall anywhere between New Orleans & Destin FL, probably Saturday or Sunday, and most likely still as a Tropical Storm.
If it means driving I-10 across the Panhandle (which I assume it does) I can certainly understand your apprehension… I mean besides the storm itself, that Interstate will probably be quite busy with some folks choosing to leave the area and using that as their means.
If you guys are in Baton Rouge, then I think you should stay put… or look elsewhere… Memphis maybe ?
Lots of great stuff to see & do in Memphis !! Lol, and it is waaay farther inland.
— — —
As for the hated weather discussion… I am in Central Canada… so we don’t get full on Hurricanes nor rarely see a Tornado in my part of the Country… I can totally understand why someone would be freaked out about these two things… Mother Nature is a really strong power and when it comes to Wind & Water she’s a tough cookie.
Lol, I’ll take snow & cold anyday over all that.
Post # 10
It’s funny what can seem less threatening because of greater familiarity: I’m the reverse. I’m not scared of hurricanes but tornados are like mythical devil spirals that must destroy all life around them (I have never seen one). I’m guessing that’s what a hurricane is to you.
Anyway, familiarity can sometimes breed complacency when there really is a danger (it’s often hard to tell if a storm’s going to fizzle out or be hugely destructive, I think this applies to torandos too), so I’m not going to tell you to shrug it off. If you don’t feel comfortable, don’t go. It’s not like you’d be saving someone’s life or something, it’s just a bachelorette for goodness sake.
Post # 11
@BRbee: I’d just keep tracking the storm. The other girls should be watching as well and keeping tabs on the weekend. If keeps headed toward Destin (Think evacuation) I’d cancel it and stay in town. I don’t think you should cancel the weekend for some rain.
I went to a Bachelorette in OCMD during a stormy weekend and we still had a blast!
Post # 12
@BRbee: Is the trip already paid for? If so, it’s only fair that you cancel when you’re sure it’ll be a disaster… But lots of rain? Not a disaster.
If it hasn’t been paid for yet (housing, etc) then I would say it’s ok to talk to everyone about a plan b. Sucks about the ovulation timing, but you shouldn’t one missed window cause you to miss an important weekend for a good friend when you already committed to it. When it’s meant to be, it’ll be 🙂
Post # 13
Thank you everyone for the responses.
@joya_aspera: It is definitely all about familiarity! I grew up with tornados. While very dangerous, I at least know how to handle them. I’ve been through 2 hurricanes so far in the 6 years I’ve lived in south Louisiana, and I’m still scared of them.
Post # 14
@Andthepupmakes3: One of the girls paid for the condo herself as a gift to the bride/all of us. We were going to chip in for food/entertainment/whatever. I know missing my window isn’t the end of the world, it’s just I had to take meds to even ovulate in the first place, and I hate the idea of “wasting” one of the few rounds of this medication that is allowed. I’m not even gonna talk about how the Clomid has wreaked havoc on my emotions and that I can now go from deliriously happy to clinically depressed in 6 seconds flat.
Post # 15
i would also be scared of a tropical storm if im honest and dont have enough experience with them to be able to give an informed opinion. id look to see what most up to date info is tomorrow before deciding
BUT if u decide to go, don’t forget that sperm can survive up to 5 days. so if you BD today/tomorrow before you leave (if you do) you aren’t ‘out of the game’ so to speakeven though you wont ovulate till saturday. in fact, id probably do both days. and maybe spend a bit of time with your legs raised?
Post # 16
Honestly, I live just outside of New Orleans, and I’m already making plans for the rain that may or may not arrive here. A tropical storm (to me anyway) isn’t a huge deal, but plans still need to be made. If you’re driving to Destin, you might want to go early if possible, and if not, I would cancel. Because you do NOT want to be driving in 60+ mph winds and torrential rain. I’m surprised the men in this situation haven’t said anything just yet.
IF you do go, and Karen stays on track, you won’t be able to do much. She’s not a full on hurricane, but people are still going to hunker down, you won’t be able to be on the beach, and some things will be closed for safety reasons.
Having lived in Ft Walton Beach, (which is just up the road) during a couple of storms, I would honestly just say to put it off for a weekend. Call the people you rented the condo from and see if you can change the date.