Post # 1
I’ll try to make this short. I’m a very regular poster, but would prefer to not post under other name for various reasons.
I don’t know if he’s bought the ring. If he has, it’s pobably a little over $1,000.
Tonight, I was looking at his car he LOVES (but seriously considering selling). Fast little thing, first car when he was 17, but needs some love as that was 10 yrs ago.
I asked him how happy it would make him to have all the work done he wanted, not necessarily needed. To make it everything he wants it to be, he thinks it would cost $1200.
I told him to not buy the ring, (but he may already have it??) and to fix his car if he was going to sell it. The return on investment would probably be double.
THEN, buy the ring! We are planning on getting married in October, so we’d just have an extremely short engagement. I’ve got tons of planning done, so that isn’t too much of an issue. Or, we’ve tossed the idea around of having it next year anyway, so we could do that as well.
He was TOTALLY unreceptive to this idea. I’m not sure why. It was literally a 10 second convo with him about it.
How the heck do I bring this up to him? Or do I?
It just makes sense to me.
Post # 3
Unfortunately, the proposal is HIS thing! And he probably wishes that he had done it already (seen as you are already planning the wedding).
Even though your solution makes sense I am sure he will want to stick to his personal timeline! He is probably really REALLY excited to propose to the love of his life 😉
Post # 4
He probably really wants to propose to you if he’s freaking out like that! It may also be an indicator that he already has the ring.
And may I just add that it’s really sweet you were thinking of him like that? Props to you for being so patient and willing to wait longer!
Post # 5
Aw! Thanks guys, you are sweet. I’ve been patiently waiting, so I suppose I should be happy!!
Sooo.. I couldn’t let it go. A 10 second conversation did not satisfy me. I said something again and he said the thought of selling it made him unconfortable. Well, when I first brought it up I honestly wasn’t even mentioning selling it! I told him to get me a cheaper ring and have his car and keep it. It is most logical to have a great running car than $1,000 on my finger. So I told him that — that he didn’t HAVE to sell it.
Uhhh… I definitely won’t bring that up again. He was short and not nice!
Time for me to sush I guess. The car will get fixed eventually 🙂
Post # 6
He was probably so short about it because he already has the ring 🙂 It will all work out either way. Good luck!
Post # 7
Ya I would shush about the issue also. You don’t want him to think that you don’t want to get engaged now!
Sometimes the logically responsible decision isn’t the right decision for them!
Kudo’s for you for being so reasonable!
Post # 8
Ok, I know this is a very old post, but I thought it was so sweet!
I know somebody who had to make a decision between a ring and a house. she chose the house. I think the whole family agreed that it was a good choice, their house is very nice! about a year later, he surprised her with a fairly large ring, and now they are happily married and getting ready to fill that house with kids. sometimes it’s worth it to wait!