TSH level 5.110

posted 3 years ago in TTC
Post # 3
1944 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I just had my thyroid tested after a chemical pregnancy and my TSH level was 4.7.  However my T4 levels are normal, so its not considered hypothyroid YET.  But probably will someday.  Your doctor should order a full thyroid panel (TSH, T4 and T3) and decide on a course of treatment, if necessary.  Thyroid disorders usually cause irregular periods, which is why there is trouble TTC.  If you are ovulating and have normal periods, it will be less of a problem!

But I’m not a doctor, so definitely discuss with one!

Post # 4
4440 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Wouldn’t that be Hyperthyroidism? If your results are high? I could be wrong…

Post # 5
3756 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

@BellaDee:  No, it’s Hypo. 

Mine was 3.5 with a normal range for my doc between .2 and 4.2. HOWEVER, the level for a pregnant woman should be UNDER 2.0! So I would push to be treated. I had a MC in June and that’s when I had my levels checked. T4 is normal, but TSH was 3.5. Two months after starting 50mcg of Levothyroxine it’s normal. My family has a history of hypo and my sister was borderline (higher side of the normal range, same as me) in her late teens and was struggling with depression. She’s been on Levo ever since. She’s had two healthy pregnancies and they modify her dosage as needed. 

ETA: We have still been trying, although not aggressively since June and no BFPs yet, but keeping hope alive 🙂 It’s almost been a year of TTC with just the one MC so far. No charting/temping, just going off CM and other symptoms, I have a regular 28 day cycle. Although since the MC it’s varied between 25 and 28 days, which is still considered normal. 

Post # 6
1944 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@BellaDee:  If your thyroid is underactive, your body makes more TSH to try to compensate.  That’s why a high test results is considered ‘underactive’ or hypothyroidism. Hope that helps!

Post # 7
257 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@NowandLater: I might be able to help with this! Please note, though: I am emphatically NOT a doctor (of medicine, anyway), so I’m just sharing the knowledge that I’ve accumulated from dealing with my own condition!

I’ve had what many doctors would consider “mild” hypothyroidism for years.  When I was about 5.5 weeks pregnant, my TSH levels were just slightly higher than yours, and I was starting to feel the effects: very, very cold hands and feet, shaky hands, numbness in the hands, etc.  Nausea and dizziness are also some of my side effects, but since they’re also early pregnancy symptoms, it’s hard to pinpoint!  For me, a TSH of 5.29 was a sign that my thyroid was under strain; I feel better when my levels are under 2 (and really under 1).  Many doctors prefer to see pregnant women with TSH levels of under 2.  Because the baby’s drawing on your thyroid, it needs to work extra hard, so it’s important to give an underactive thyroid (like mine) extra support.

A lot of doctors agree that “normal” TSH levels vary significantly from person to person, so you need to figure out where you feel best.  In your situation, I would pursue treatment. My doctor told me that she’d rather see me on the slightly “hyper” end of the spectrum than “hypo.”

My thyroid may or may not have been a contributing factor in my miscarriage; it’s tough to tell.  Now that my thyroid’s back under control, though, I feel more confident about trying again next month.  Going back on medication was at least a proactive step that I could take!

Post # 8
386 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

@NowandLater:  

I would push your doctor to get all the thyroid stuff checked like @CityBearBride: suggested.   Ideally, you should be under 2.0 for TTC and pregnancy.  Have you ever had your TSH checked in the past?  Everyone is different, so your normal may be higher.  How do you feel?  I tend to run .5-1.2 TSH.  I had my thyroid removed, so I am on synthyroid.  I’ve had my TSH go up to 3, 4, and 5 and by 5 I am so depressed and tired that I just lay in bed all day and cry!

Post # 10
3756 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

@NowandLater:  Hashimotos is only if T4 or T3 is abnormal. I also didn’t really have symptoms and don’t really feel any different after the level is now normal. But I do feel a little bit more confident about a future pregnancy with TSH in the normal range. 🙂

Post # 12
1015 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

My TSH was just 2.75 (I think, maybe 2.7?), and I’m on synthroid to bring it down.  We’re doing IVF, and with all that’s involved with that, I don’t want to take any risks that my thyroid could ruin or chances or contribute to miscarriage.

Post # 13
3378 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

@jny1179:  Not true.  My TSH, free t3, and free t4 all fell into the normal range.  My TPO Antibodies though were not only present but were elevated and THAT determined Hashimotos for me.  Hashimotos and Graves are both autoimmune thyroid issues meaning that thyroid antibodies are going to be involved if you have one or the other or both.  

@NowandLater:  I’d definitely push for testing and treatment.  As others have said, it’s better to have a TSH of 1-2 when trying to conceive.  

Post # 14
2614 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

@NowandLaterMine tested high and I was given a prescription right away. I suggest you get it sorted now as it can be problematic (not suggesting it will be. I’m ok!). My doc suggested that it’s urgent enough. I’m pregnant too btw.

Edit: just realised you’re TTC. I was TTC for 8 months with high TSH. I wonder now if that’s why it took so long..

Post # 16
2614 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

@NowandLater:  Sorry… Found out today that baby has no heartbeat. I’ll never know if the thyroid issue was the cause. Please try to get it sorted. At least you will have more peace of mind x

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors