(Closed) unbooked caterer wants me to give him 300 bucks for “his time”?!!Would you pay?

posted 6 years ago in Food
Post # 3
5075 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2012

unless he’s a lawyer or doctor I don’t think he can send you a bill for “his time”. 

Consultations are part of doing business.

Post # 4
645 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

Haha no- absolutely not. You didn’t sign a contract, you didn’t commit to anything, he is an idiot. I would screen cap that and paste into every review forum possible. He doesn’t have a case unless he told you up front you have to pay 300 dollars to talk to me which I doubt he did.

Post # 5
4887 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Absolutely not, and just ignore the bejesus out of him… but save everything just in case.  Do NOT respond to him.

Post # 6
5075 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2012

I may send you a bill for the time it took me to type out my response

Post # 7
2702 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@cora_123:  <— This.  What an jerk. You definitely don’t owe him anything.

Post # 8
382 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

What a tool. You owe him nothing. Like @MichiganBride2012 said, consultations are a part of doing business.

Post # 9
869 posts
Busy bee

This guy is crazy…  Consider it a good thing that he won’t be catering your wedding.  Do NOT pay him.

Post # 10
746 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

You didn’t sign any kind of contract, you don’t owe him anything. As simple as that!

Post # 12
4352 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

If he expected money to hold the date for you, he should have requested a deposit. But thats usually done after you have decided to book the event and have signed a contract. Many vendors will hold a date for you as a courtesy while you look over the contract or its in the mail ect. But that is just something they do so that they don’t double book, because two people placed their signed contracts in the mail at the same time.

However I see that you are in Canada, so it might be different there than it is in the US.

**disclaimer: I’m not a lawyer.

Post # 13
3617 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2018

No

Post # 14
860 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

i second one of the pps who said you should just ingnore him….. dont fuel the fire. If you get a letter from a lawyer then go from there.

Post # 15
7175 posts
Busy Beekeeper

You have the email trails – they will be your best defense.  I wouldn’t give him a dime; especially since it sounds like there was NO agreement.

It sounds like the caterer is pissed because he held the date for you (losing the other gig) thinking you’d go with him…. and wants you to give him some compensation.

Sorry you are dealing with this, but I wouldn’t pay him.  Also – when you are responding to him, try to NOT address any of the personal bashing he is throwing your way.  You don’t have to defend yourself.  You only need to point out that there was no contract and you had not agreed to hire him, as you were waiting for the quote which you did not receive.

Post # 16
4352 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

@GroovyHippieChick:  “I may send you a bill for the time it took me to type out my response”.

Crap. How much do I owe you?

The topic ‘unbooked caterer wants me to give him 300 bucks for “his time”?!!Would you pay?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors