UPDATE Bees who know makeup – I need your help!!! ($500 Sephora vs $80 Target)

posted 3 years ago in Beauty
Post # 3
4220 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I think both look nice, but consider how long drug store makeup is going to last… 

Post # 4
114 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

Eyes are a little to dark for my liking. You have such a beautiful eye color and shape, the darkness takes away from it. 

Otherwise I think it is great!!

Post # 5
8821 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

Being completely honest, I much prefer the Sephora makeup.  I see a difference between the professional and the at home application (sorry!)

Post # 7
173 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

@JenGirl:  Hey!! I think it’s a bit hard to say since the lighting is pretty dim in the Sephora makeup pictures–but if you really want to use drug-store brands, I would consider signing up for a Reddit account and asking the wonderful people at the MakeUpAddiction subreddit! http://www.reddit.com/r/MakeUpAddiction

They seem to have product lists and recommendations for just about any budget and tons of little tips and tricks for basically any look. It seems to be a very warm community with great constructive criticism. Good luck 🙂

Post # 8
3693 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

The drugstore application doesn’t look horrible by any means, but the foundation is a little too warm/orange for your skin tone. In terms of wear, in my experience there are things you can buy from the drugstore that work just as well as the expensive stuff, but some things you really can’t compromise on. Some of the expensive stuff just wears better and lasts longer.

Stuff that I wouldn’t compromise on:
Primer (Smashbox)
Foundation (love Shiseido) — you want to make sure this is matched to your skin tone
Eyeshadow (Urban Decay is awesome)
Finishing spray (Urban Decay makes a good one)

Stuff that you can buy cheap:
Concealer (I actually like Cover Girl)
Bronzer
Blush (although NARS and Tarte gel are awesome)
Eyeliner (liquid/marker)
Mascara (although some drugstore are definitely better than others)

Post # 9
201 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

I’m pretty cheap, so I’d say go with the drugstore makeup. That’s what I did! However, I’d splurge on lipstick and some sort of makeup setting spray. Setting spray really helped keep my makeup in place and it kept me from getting shiny, which was nice – and I used makeup I got from RiteAid. And lipstick… test run it before your day, make sure that it doesn’t travel to your face, or disappear altogether! (Mine did – that’s the only part where my setting spray failed.) Also, eye primer (I used cheap stuff), also helps your eye makeup from creasing. 

ETA: I used the Urban Decay finishing spray something else mentioned. I like your eye makeup, but your bottom lid eyeliner needs to be blended a little more in your drugstore run, I think. My foundation is American Beauty, I think, which is sold at Kohl’s ($20 a bottle maybe?), so I don’t know if you would include that in the “drugstore” makeup department. Still affordable, though, and it lasts forever.

Post # 10
6644 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I definately like Sophora application much better.  Sorry I am kinda a snob when comes to makeup and very rarely buy drug store stuff. 

Post # 11
2555 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@JenGirl:  I would go a bit easier on the application of the eye liner.

Post # 12
339 posts
Helper bee

I’d go with the target makeup, looks great! 

The only thing I would change is your foundation shade. It looks a little orange in the pic, but that could be the lighting. 

Post # 13
318 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2018

I  would go for the drug store makeup,  just perfect you’re technique. $500  is ridiculous  and I  haven’t noticed any longer wear from more expensive department store brands. you just have to find the right products for your skin and apply them properly.

Post # 14
1931 posts
Buzzing bee

I’ll give you a rundown of what I think:

Lighten up on your liner application on the bottom- actually get a small angled brush (I use EcoTools from CVS, it’s a set for under $10) and use a brown shadow to line your lower lashline instead of the black liner. It’ll give you the definition you want without the harsh line. 

Foundation: go Revlon for drugstore. I’ve tried the super super expensive foundations and Revlon is still my go-to. I like the Nearly Naked. 

Mascara- Maybelline Falsies line is perfect!

For primer, just use a general silicone primer- I like ELF’s and it’s $6, worked better than the Too Faced Primed and Poreless for me (very pricey).

Also use an eyeprimer- I’ve used the LORAC and the Too Faced primers and like them but the $1 ELF primer works just as well for me.

My favorite setting spray is NYX, available at Ulta. $8, it’s a GODSEND. 

If you want to get some nicer tools, try Real Techniques or Bdellium tools, both on Amazon. 

If you want any other advice, just let me know. I’m a big fan of drugstore makeup, pricier isn’t always better. 

Post # 15
5207 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2013

@JenGirl:  The colors look great, especially the lips. My only suggestion would be to ease up on the lower lash liner. Do you know how to tightline? Instead of applying your liner below your bottom lashes, apply it directly on them. It takes some practice but it will prevent raccoon eyes.  

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors