- 9 years ago
My wedding was in 2008. Hope you bride-to-be will find these useful.
Ceremony & Reception: MayFair Lake Golf & Country Club
A- for the venue itself & the food; BUT C+ for the Mayfair Wedding & Banquet Coordinator. The ceremony site is very nice. Grassy outdoor, ponds, lake and water fountain as your backdrop. The site is basically yours EVEN AFTER your ceremony so you and your guests can have plenty of time for photo shooting. The price is very reasonable compare to other places that we had checked out (e.g. Minoru Chapel, QE Park, Hart House & etc). It also has the lowest minimum charge on food & drinks ($5000 min). The Lakeside Room where I had my reception has a grand fireplace with floor to ceiling windows. The room size is just rite for a small wedding (<90 peoples). The food was great! My guests enjoyed every course of their meal. The salads were mesmerizing. The only negative is that it is under the airway in Richmond. But it was not that noisy at all when the plane flew by as it was quiet far away.
Now, the Mayfair Coordinator. She started out very nice, willing to change some details to meet our wedding setup but were told with an attitude that these arrangements cannot be made with only 1wk and half to go before the wedding. This is possible the worst part about dealing with Mayfair. Nevertheless, it is still a very nice venue for a small wedding. Just make sure you got all the fine details hammered out on emails before signing your contract.
Photographers: Union Photographers: A. Roger & Holly are wonderful peoples to work & two talented photographers. Not to mention they took tons of wonderful wedding pictures at our wedding, but also they are easy-going, fun-loving, and down-to-earth. They are honest with what they are selling, flexible with your wedding time schedule and particular needs. They really had helped to make our wedding ran smoothly without a hitch. They also offer the biggest bang for your buck, many other places rip you off big time with pre-wedding sessions and wedding album. Many of my friends are already asking for their contacts after seeing my wedding pictures. http://www.unionphotographers.com
Videographers: 2 in LOVE Wedding Video: D- The only thing to keep me from giving them a "F" here is that 1 out of 3 copies of my wedding DVDs doesn’t skip. Thanks to god. We have no major problem dealing with any of our vendors except for 2 in love wedding video.
Find the right videographer is like finding Mr.Right. If you feel something is not right from the 1st meeting, then you should believe your gut and look elsewhere. We very much regretted our decision and should have believed our hunch, but we still hired them because we put out faith onto those positive comments on the web. It really make one questions if those positive comments were actually posted by themselves, disguising as clients, or because it is affiliated somehow. Here I will post only a few quick facts below for your discretion as I had already posted a *detailed analysis* on them in my other post. Genuine brides-to-be are welcome to private message me for details. As I am in the regulatory business, it is just part of my natural instinct to collect and save all the emails & conversation with 2 in love just in case.
AFTER signing contract: Continuous Money Milking Scheme – We chose the basic package so that doesn’t make us their VIP customer but still it cost us $3500 and does not mean that we deserve to be milked an extra $200-1000 for STANDARD features that are already offered as STANDARD PACKAGE by many other companies.
– ON WEDDING DAY: Unable to work with photographers. SUMMARY: one heck of an INSTRUSIVE VIDEOGRAPHER = POP-UP BLOCKERS
– FINAL PRODUCT: Empty promises & Cookie-Cutter Wedding Video. Our 15mins wedding highlight was "JUST ok", at least I can force myself to accept knowing that it can be of much higher quality. BUT I just cannot do the same with our DVD menu!! It is THE simplest DVD menu amongst ALL the demo we’ve seen, far subpar from the demos that they shown us in the interview. It is so simple that even I can do it!!
– POOR POST-wedding customer service, when it comes to pickup your wedding DVDs: BEFORE we signed the contract, we met "P" & "C" (they are husband & wife team) in a cozy cafe in Burnaby. BUT AFTER the wedding, we were told to drive to their SFU office to pick up the video (1 whole hr drive!!). "P" of 2 IN LOVE actually made us to wait for him, stood IN THE COLD SNOWY WEATHER for 10 mins (remember the snowstorm of DEC 2008 rite before Christmas !), but only to pickup DUD DEFECTIVE DVDS!!!!
– FINAL PRODUCT = 2 out of 3 DVD video copies are SKIPPERS, DEFECTIVE PRODUCTS !!! = Little / No quality checks on their products before delievery! Unbelievable !!! We played the 2 dud copies on 5 different players and they still skip at different point of the video! This is the part that REALLY has crossed our bottomline way too far, consider the hassle we went thru JUST to pickup the videos!! Things get more *interesting* when we were told to return the dud Vides by either parcel it back to 2 IN LOVE at OUR OWN COST, OR, DROPOFF them at their SFU office in-person, in order for them to verify IF the DVDs are REALLY DUDS!!!
Gosh, we just cannot be nice to this dishonest, irresponsible people anymore ! and hence the rating of "D-" in review.
Wedding Commissioner: Gisa Laslo: A- We are glad to have her as our commissioner. She is very organized, responsible, and professional. She took good care of us even before wedding, gave us guidance on what to expect & prepare for the ceremony (e.g. ceremony intro, vows, even emailed us samples for our references), walked thru the ceremony event rundown with us in details, pointed out the very fine, small but key & important details that most couples will overlook. At the rehearsal, she showed good diplomatic crowd control; rehearsed with us until everybody understood and performed their own role. In conclusion, Gisa went well beyond her duties of many other commissioners do. Highly recommended!
Bouquets & Flowers: Elegance Flower (Richmond): B+ The owners are easy to deal and flexible. Reasonably priced. I am quite happy with how my bouquet it was made according to a picture of a bouquet I found on the web. I say it had a 95% resemblance to the picture. The rest, including the BM’s bouquets, corsage & boutonnière for the bridal party, are designed by the owner using my bouquet as reference (of course she went thru her idea with me beforehand). The only thing is that the roses started to look quite tired, not fresh, starting at around noon, which I was already told by the owner before the wedding that it can be hard to find good-quality champagne rose around that season.
Chair & Decor: RoseChairDecor : A Another good vendor that I came across. Reasonably priced. Responsible business. Good quality product. On time delivery. Rose is a very nice lady, easy to deal with. We met with her at her place and she was very patient to explain all the products and their specific features she offers. I appreciate very much that she is very patient with me as I was indecisive on which stash color & material to use, as she knows I was under tight budget.
Dress I ended up buying my dress online. But I have experience trying on dresses at the following bridal salons.
– Bridal Gallery (New Westminster): A. They have the best service of all the bridal salons that I had been to. Not snobbish, not as pushy as other places. I am a petite gal so all the dresses were so big on me. The ladies who helped me didn’t mind at all when I asked her to refit the clips behind me to get the best fit. I tried on 7 different dresses and the staff didn’t give me any attitude at all.
– Lisa’s Bridal: B. Snobbish at start. As soon as you are willing to try on some of the more expensive dresses, > $2000, their service got better.
– Bisou Bridal: B. I basically saw the staffs were physically assessing our “potential” from head to before serving us. Thanks to my BM’s Dior bag, we actually got pretty good service that day.
– Chantilly Bridal Boutique: A. I went there on a weekday. The lady who helped me was still very nice and helpful even after she learnt about my budget range, and she didn’t push me to try on a $3500 Alvanta or Lazzaro. They have more unique designer gowns and a wide range for styles at their store. If you have big budget for a dress ($3000-4000), then you should give this store a try.
Makeup: Angela Liu: A [email protected]; Hair: Jeri Addlph (Angela’s partner): A. They worked together for many weddings. Angela & Jeri are professional makeup artist & hair stylist who are patient, easy-going, and more importantly, responsible, skillful and attentive to the client’s needs. Angela made sure my BMs are not allergic to the makeup by giving us sample foundation to try on. She also followed up with me to make sure I am satisfied with my makeup trial. She was very nice to give me a 2nd trial because I found my 1st trial to be a bit unnatural to my personal liking. My BMs think that she did a fabulous job on me. I love the half up and half down style that Jeri did for me. My hairdo stayed for the whole day and it still held together nicely even after the crazy reception games.
Wedding Cake: Janice Cake Shop (Richmond): A My wedding cake was a steal!!! Under $300 for a 2-tier cake. Price included delivery. More importantly, it looked good but also tasted good!! Not too sweet at all. Made with fresh cream & real fresh fruits separated in layers of soft velvet sponge cake. YUMMY! My husband & I are no a big fan of cakes but we actually encored for another slice! Good service. On time delivery.