(Closed) Vendor deposits & cancellations?

posted 9 years ago in Money
Post # 3
813 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2018

I think that vendors might be open to transferring. As long as they don’t lose the money, and as long as they are available on your new date, it might not matter to them.

They might hold you to your original contract if they feel like they will lose money in the long run. However, if your vendor starts to act this way (like they don’t want to switch from your wedding venue to an engagement party venue because they are realizing that you might spend lots of money on your wedding and not quite as much on your engagement, perhaps you could remind them that if you pull out entirely, they will only get your deposit money. If they let you switch, they will get to keep your deposit and possibly get more money for your engagement party.).

Why did you decide to switch? 

Post # 4
2205 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

I would definitely start with the approach of a date re-schedule, rather than a cancel.  A lot of venues palce stipulations in their contracts that cancellations may only be made in a certain time frame and for particular, extreme, out-of-normal-control situations (death, military leave, etc).  Usually the understanding is that you do not get your deposit back, but you may get out of your obligation to fulfill your end of the contract.

I think most venues would be more open to a renegotiation of the date, as long as they have enough time to book another event for your original date.  I would even help out your venue by advertising your old date availability if they allow you to switch.

Hope it all works out for you!

The topic ‘Vendor deposits & cancellations?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors