Post # 1
Advice needed (Sorry this may be long):
So our we booked our venue a year ago. A place to have both the reception and ceremony. In Nov…the event coordinator (who was a trusted individual..or so we thought). we signed with at the facility left. She sent a VERY informal email saying she was leaving. Then we didnt hear back from the facility about her replacement until Feb to tell us who would be taking over. Then, they said that the place was damaged from the snow storms here, pipes busted and etc…and they would have to renovated. We go and meet in March w/ the new person to just get her up to speed on our file…and she is nowhere to be found. Not to mention..the place was a TOTAL DISASTER! She actually didnt even put us in her books. She contacted us later on that day…and met us there…we had to double back.
So after meeting (which we thought we had worked out things)…she sends us a variety of messages. Saying food costs have now increased. We now required a bartender fee. We now required to rent charis for the veranda…. all kinds of stuff that wasnt in our original contract. We told her to tell us where she was getting these prices but she wasnt very specific.
Fast forward to about 2 months ago..and now THIS woman is leaving the facility and moving to Utah. *sigh* Now our file is being handled by a catering director and F&B Director. We meet with them a month ago to hash out the details…the F&B director is totally clueless about our file, coming up with old things. Also…the site is still a mess. Seems like now work is being done although she swears that stuff will be handeled by Aug because they have some tournament there (It is a country club). We agree on a date for our tasting (which was this past Sunday)…and pay our 50% down.
Now….we go to the place on Sunday for the tasting..and guess what…NO ONE is there. The place is STILL a wreck. No carpeting. No walls…etc. My fiance said work seemed to be getting done downstairs but he isnt sure. We meet with the facility Director and she goes “Oh we had a meeeting??” I was FURIOUS! At this point I began to cry (or hold back tears)..My fiance’ says “HELLO! We had a tasting today!” She goes “OH no. It wasnt on my calendar” (although we sat in that meeting last month and she put it in her calendar). She is like..”Oh let’s reschedule….any day you want..”. Fiance’ goes “We will contact you”. Later on that day…she sends an email apologizing..but then at the end goes..”Oh and BTW, the cost of the appetizers is increasing by XYZ amount”
That is when I LOST it….. I was DONE!
At this pont..almsot 2.5 months to go BEFORE our wedding..we want OUT! We want our cash back (we understand if we cant get the deposit). We even had to put cash down for a rehearsal becuae they dont guarantee a time to rehearse UNLESS it is a booked event. We are looking at other, more affordable options who are open for that day (It’s a Sunday) and close to the area we booked. I just want to if anyone else has dealt with this. WHat happened? Did you get any cash back? Are we wrong to even want out? Will we lose? Or will we be stuck?
Post # 2
Does this place have reviews online? Can you get contact information of couples who have been recently married there? Have you contacted the owner versus this ever changing group of coordinators who are proving to be completely unreliable?
I can only imagine how you are feeling, but it’s now time to take action. I’d start with the above, ensuring that you are documenting and have been documenting everything in writing.
I’m so sorry you are going through this.
Post # 3
Run! Run! If you have a backup plan, use it. They sound ridiculous. I think there’s a pretty good chance there will be a series of stuffups in the weeks leading up and on the day. Do you want that stress on your wedding day, or is it better to suck up the lost cash and go somewhere who wants your business and is focussed on you.
Did you sign a contract with the original planner or with the venue itself? Maybe you can regain some of the money through small claims AFTER the wedding! I’d say keep a very, very detailed record of the chain of events – time line, what was signed, emails etc – and after it’s all over take them to task on the series of letdowns.
For your alternate, I’m not sure of your options but for my first marriage we were stuck for a venue and we ended up putting a big white marqee up in the grounds of a charming but small restaurant. It was beautiful! And only $300 to hire.
I really feel sorry for you to have all this stress.
Post # 4
AussieEncore: We did sign a contract and had worked out a food option. I would be losing close to $3K in cash and I do not have that to just give up! Then for them to just add more? No way…. I dont even wanna pay $100 more to this place
kate02121: the reviews on line were good and we trusted the person we signed with. She was so eager to get our business..only to leave the place later. We did contact the main people and will hopefully get an answer.
Post # 5
TheMochaPeach: I have no idea about the legalities and whatnot, but if you signed a contract and they aren’t holding up their end, shouldn’t you be able to back out??? I am so sorry you have to deal with this!
Post # 6
I’m also so sorry this is happening to you. Did you send invitations out yet? Did any of your guests have to make travel arrangements? If no, is it possible to postpone the wedding by a few weeks until something concrete is ironed out? I have a feeling that even though it sounds like this venue is not holding up their end of the contract, it might take awhile for you to get your money back. And I would be too worried that everything would look nice enough for your wedding in 2 months.
Post # 7
TheMochaPeach: In the contract did you sign off to the original prices of meals and appetizers and the bar, etc? Do you have all of the e-mails that mention the price increases saved? If so, I would ask for your money back and threaten legal action if they give you a hard time. I would also mention your capacity to write unsavory reviews based off of your experience on here, on Yelp, and on other reputable sites where you will mention them by name.
Sorry this is happening to you 🙁 Best of luck and let us know how it turns out!
Post # 8
our coordinator left 3 months after we signed the contact. the sales manager of the place took over until they found a replacement. we made sure that everything in our original contract stayed in tact and that no extra prices were added. we went over it with them line by line.
sorry you are going through this. is there someone higher up at the venue you can talk to. say you would like a discount for all the hassle you have been put through.
that is ridiculous business. if you do end up sticking with them. i would definatle give a bad review. but make sure it is after everything is over.
Post # 9
- Wedding: July 2014 - Prague
I would be sick with worry. I would perhaps contact a lawyer. If you have to walk away from your deposit, I’d make sure they know they will be getting major bad reviews.
Post # 10
prahajess: ajillity81: I am totally OK w/ leaving my deposit. But the 50% remaining we put down….I want it back NOW!
Post # 11
ajillity81: The original event coordinator who we worked with. I still keep in contact with. Needless to say…I vented a bit to her and she was like “This person is cool..she will def reimburse you”. I dont know….I am praying for a resolution
Post # 12
- Wedding: July 2014 - Prague
TheMochaPeach: Crossing my fingers for you. Let us know how it goes!
Post # 13
YES! THANK GOD For prayer cause we getting our money back!!!
Post # 14
Post # 15
TheMochaPeach: not for nothing, you had a contract. how can they try to charge you more? isnt that the point of a contract? Im glad your getting your money back. sounds like a bunch of scam artists to me…