- 3 years ago
- Wedding: May 2012
We have not actively started ttc yet, but DH and I have both said we would definitely be open to an oops. Our original plan was to wait until I start working and get my first year of hours in toward my licensure (I’m a creative arts therapist). Part of our reasoning is that the law currently allows 1 year to get your hours in with a one time option for a one year extension. It will likely take a full year of working full time to get the required number of hours in. Since I just finished grad school in February, I’m still job searching right now (there are a very limited number of positions available and a lot of competition so it takes awhile). On the other hand, there is some promising new legislation that has been passed but is not yet law which looks like the time period to get your hours in would be extended to 2 years with an optional 2 year extension.
I know that waiting makes more sense both financially and professionally, but I also know that I have a couple of concerns. First, I have just been diagnosed with hashimoto’s and I know that my mom had problems getting pregnant until she started on a synthetic thyroid medication. My endocrinologist wants to wait to treat it until my thyroid levels are further off, but I’m already 32 so I don’t want to find out in a year or two that now my thyroid levels are off and I can’t get pregnant…especially because we would like to have 2 kids.
And secondly, we’ve had a lot going on this past year. First, my grandfather passed away which has prompted my grandmother to start asking about having a grandchild from us. Then my other grandfather had a heart attack last year and seems to be slowly deteriorating in health. My mil was just diagnosed with cirrhosis of her liver and they’re not entirely sure what’s causing it. Then this past week, my FIL had a heart attack. It seems like an awful lot going on and it’s making me really realize not only that life is short, but also that I do want our children to know their grandparents and their great parents for as long as possible. I don’t want to regret our decision to wait when it’s too late.
Any one have thoughts? Suggestions? Any personal experience that might be similar?